Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fill The Current Perimeter?

Posted by banthafodder7400 
Fill The Current Perimeter?
June 09, 2012 09:48AM
So i dont know if this has been asked before, or if I can explain it clearly. Is there a slicer program that when it slices an object with "islands" on it, it will fill the current perimeter then do the next?

What I mean by islands is lets say you have a long part with a horizontal hole in it. The first few layers are 1 continuous perimeter and one infill. Once you get to the hole it now makes the part 2 perimeters and 2 infill areas, and at the top of the hole it goes back to one.

I currently use slic3r and when it prints at the section with the hole it prints perimeter to the left of the hole, then to the right, then fills the left, then fills the right. Now when its a part with a lot of holes this makes lots of extra movement, not to mention if the extruder oozes just a little it makes twice the number of strings.

So is there a program that fills one side then does the other? Is there a reason why not? Thanks for your input if you understand what I am asking for!

Ryan
Quality Engineer & Hobbyist
thingsandtrains.blogspot.com
Re: Fill The Current Perimeter?
June 09, 2012 09:56AM
Skeinforge's tower plugin may do this if you set the maximum tower height to 1.
June 09, 2012 12:29PM
Try KISSlicer. It completes each island before heading to the next.

www.Fablicator.com
June 09, 2012 08:33PM
Skeinforge does this by default. It prints both the perimeters and infill for each island in one go before moving to the next one, and when doing a layer change, it starts with the island where it happens to be in. This is something that I hope will come to Slic3r at some point. For some objects this cuts down the amount of moves to one quarter. But now that most people have working retraction and fast travel moves, it's not so important anymore.
June 09, 2012 09:09PM
I will try both these suggestions! The skeinforge one sounds very efficient, I just hate the interface of skeinforge. Maybe I will warm up to it someday.

BTW the items I needed it for are in my most recent update (Farming meets Engineering). The jumping back and forth between islands was leaving little strings everywhere, evening with good retraction set.

Ryan
Quality Engineer & Hobbyist
thingsandtrains.blogspot.com
June 10, 2012 01:14PM
Skeingforge is a lot less intimidating once you realize you only need to frequent the Carve and Fill Tabs. A lot of the other areas are seldom touched, once configured, and the rest are usually disabled when using RepRap-style printers.

Even in the two tabs you do get into, it's only to change the layer height, or adjust the fill% and number of perimeter loops.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login