Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Detailed models and print costs

Posted by Polyhead 
Detailed models and print costs
June 04, 2013 09:18AM
Hello community,

I´m currently writing my graduation report for my bachelor. I´m stuck with a sub question about costs. I really hope this community can help me because it is really important.

First of all, the company I do the research for is interested in detailed character models, those you can find for example in special game editions.

1.) Is it possible to print models like that one here with a reprap home printer or any type of home printer ?

[www.dominicqwek.com] (especially the right one)

2.) Does it acquire a lot of practice and knowhow to master such a print ?

Since I´m graduating as a 3d character artist I deliver a similar product and I will use sculpteo service to print it with resin or maybe with PLA.
There is a small other question that I have. This has less priority.

Example:

Sculpteo is working with a Eos P100 formiga. Lets say I have the same printer available and I can buy 1kg of PLA for 21€ from a german reseller.
When I print a test model with the volume of 4.779 cm³ I pay around 20-25€ for it.

3.) How many copies of this sculpture can I print at home with 1kg of that material ?

What I´m trying to find out is, when it is profitable to buy a printer.

Thanks to everyone who has any information for me or can help me with that!

regards
Dominic
VDX
Re: Detailed models and print costs
June 04, 2013 09:59AM
Hi Dominic,

you can print high resolution figures with a FDM printer, but only with a really good calibrated printer and even better experience/practise - here some examples showing problems and possibilities: [forums.reprap.org]

But it's much easier with a DIY-UV-DLP-printer - here some high resolution examples from a friend in a German CNC-forum I've linked as this forum is 'closed': [forums.reprap.org]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Re: Detailed models and print costs
June 04, 2013 10:13AM
Hi Viktor,

Thanks looks interesting. Thought FDM is not capable of big sized detailed models. I assume you can use every method as long as you have the experience. I appreciate when more people share their opinion.

thanks a lot

Dominic
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login