Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

gcode and print speed?

Posted by Enlightx 
gcode and print speed?
June 10, 2012 12:17PM
Does any one know how i can check what print speed a gcode file should be running at?

i am trying to print this weeks compition file

now what ever speed i set to in slicer it seems to print at the same speed

i have tried 300mm/sec and also 30mm/sec and i swear theres no differerence at all

stat of Gcode for 30mm/sec
; generated by Slic3r 0.8.2 on 2012-06-10 at 16:44:41

; layer_height = 0.2
; perimeters = 3
; solid_layers = 3
; fill_density = 1
; nozzle_diameter = 0.3
; filament_diameter = 3
; extrusion_multiplier = 0.9
; perimeter_speed = 30
; infill_speed = 30
; travel_speed = 190
; extrusion_width_ratio = 0
; scale = 1
; single wall width = 0.37mm

and also the 300mm/sec file

; generated by Slic3r 0.8.2 on 2012-06-10 at 15:22:16

; layer_height = 0.2
; perimeters = 3
; solid_layers = 3
; fill_density = 0.15
; nozzle_diameter = 0.3
; filament_diameter = 3
; extrusion_multiplier = 0.9
; perimeter_speed = 300
; infill_speed = 300
; travel_speed = 300
; extrusion_width_ratio = 0
; scale = 1
; single wall width = 0.37mm
Re: gcode and print speed?
June 10, 2012 12:24PM
maybe you've set the max steprate too slow in your firmware.. look up config.h
June 10, 2012 12:32PM
If by this weeks you mean the voronoi tower, it has a LOT of very short moves and you're likely constrained by the acceleration setting in your firmware. Assuming your running firmware with acceleration.

The other thing that might affect it in Slic3r is the cooling settings, if you have the minimum layer time set to high, it'll just slow everything down.

EDIT
I see you probably mean the lightbulb, like the voronoi tower, the acceleration in the firmware will be a factor.
In Slic3r the limiting factors will be short perimeter speed and the minimum layer time in the cooling tab.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2012 12:44PM by Polygonhell.
June 10, 2012 12:55PM
im using marlin here are my settings

// default settings

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80, 80, 3200/1.25,700} // prusa
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 500, 5, 45} // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,10000} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 3000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 3000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for r retracts

//
#define DEFAULT_XYJERK 20.0 // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_ZJERK 0.4 // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_EJERK 5.0 // (mm/sec)
June 10, 2012 01:04PM
Your MAX Feed Rate looks small to me. This may be nothing, but in my firmware settings (repetier, not Marlin) the max feedrates for X and Y are 15000 in the eprom settings (CTRL-E)
June 10, 2012 02:02PM
Can you really move at 15m/s or does Repetier report it in mm/minute?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 10, 2012 02:12PM
I don't see your small perimeter settings or your cool settings which could both be setting the speed due to the size of each part and the size of the total layer.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 10, 2012 02:40PM
checked my marlin settings with a fresh marling firmware and there the same as defaults

in slic3r to test it i been settings all settings the same so perimter and small perimeter set at 30 or 300 (as well as infills ect

only thing i keep at same speed is the bridges setting.

i suppose its possible its seeing the jumps as briges in someway. ill try settings birdiging higher and see if i get a faster print
June 10, 2012 03:16PM
just tried bridges on 300 makes no difference.
June 10, 2012 03:20PM
June 10, 2012 03:48PM
Dont have Enable Cooling Ticked

also cannot see a setting for that

i have
Enable cooling unticked
Min Fan Speed % 35
Max Fan Speed % 100
Bridge Fan Speed % 100

Enable fan is layer print time is below 60
Slow down if layer print time is below 15
min print speed 10
disable fan for first N Layers
Keep fan on always unticked

i plan to get the fan upgrade parts soon but like i say currently not enabled i just use a case fan at the side and switch it on and off

just to not dont think i mentioned this.

I do get 300mm a sec on the smaller round layers but as soon as you get to the fiddley bits i cannot control this speed at all whatever settings i use its the same speed everytime

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2012 03:49PM by Enlightx.
June 10, 2012 03:52PM
Enlightx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dont have Enable Cooling Ticked

> Slow down if layer print time is below 15
> min print speed 10

I am not sure but there may be a bug that is not disabling this when the box is unchecked. To test try setting the min speed to the speed you want to print at and try setting the time to 1 sec.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
June 10, 2012 06:15PM
This is almost certainly due to acceleration. How big is the part your trying to print? If its small you'll won't reach max speed even on the slower settings....
June 10, 2012 06:16PM
just come back from test print earlier (which pulled away from bed BIGG mess lol)

1 hour 13 mins as always so settings those options didnt effect the speed
June 11, 2012 07:06AM
Are you certain that it is updating the gcode file? I ran into this a time or two. Try changing the file name. I had it outputting to my hard drive before when I expected it to be on my flash drive. Same directory structure, just different drive. It was a head scratcher, then a forehead slapper. winking smiley

Lee
June 11, 2012 02:50PM
yes 100% updating file

as i output file to desktop from main quad core PC then put file in dropbox to transfer it to my old XP laptop which i use soley for 3d printing. when doing this it moves the file

i also check the gcode output file in wordpad to look at settings.

does any one know of a tutorial on how to set up kissslicer? might give that a go
June 11, 2012 02:55PM
After all the things you have tried I would agree with everyone that said it is because of acceleration. The tendrils of the light bulb are not large enough for the machine to get up to speed. If you would like to test this try setting your default acceleration to 10,000 and the jerk to 50 and you will see it try and go really fast (most likely resulting in lost steps).

July 24, 2013 11:14AM
Yes, had the same problems! New names work sometimes!
February 06, 2020 07:51PM
I know this is years late, but if anyone comes here looking for a solution:

Enlightx's problem above was that the relevant settings were commented out. Actually, the in-lined files were entirely comments.

; stuff following a semicolon is a comment
; travel_speed = 1000000
; the above line will never do anything. 
# don't put any settings after a hash either.
# actual settings that will be interpreted and have an effect look like the lines below
min_speed = 30
max_speed = 45
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login