Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about extruder and his movement

Posted by BenjaCNC 
Question about extruder and his movement
June 22, 2013 12:51PM
Hello,

I really appreciate reprap community. Thank you for what's you do!

Since a few days I'm looking for building a 3d printer. But as I really enjoy designing and building machine I would like to create it from scratch (I have two cnc milling machines to help me ;-)).

I read a lot of informations on books and forums and understood that the most important part is the extruder and the hot end. There is two kinds of extruder: with or with gears. I plan to use 1.75mm filament

My first question is: The gears give to the extruder a better torque? is it the only reason to use a gears? What about direct drive extruder like extruder found on ebay and which comes from china (http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/0-4mm-Nozzle-Extruder-Print-Head-3D-Printer-Print-Head-for-3D-Printer-New-/251287393718?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a81e555b6). I ve read that one unregistered person on this forum try it not successfully. Is there anyone who tested it? Do you know where I can buy a complete kit extruder + hot end. I live in Europe.

My second question is about the movement X-Y. Is it better to move the hot bed (in XY and the extruder in Z) or the extruder (in XY and the hot bed in Z)? I ve read on forum that inertia can give ghost aspect to the printed object. Do you have some advice about this?

Regards,

Benjamin

[www.roboticus.org]
Re: Question about extruder and his movement
June 24, 2013 01:01PM
I have always assumed the gears were for torque as well and probably has something to do with the torque curve on the steppers.

I think maybe the seperate moving Y asix might be about isolating wobble between the two. When they are both hooked together wobbel can present on both from one source.

No facts, just thoughts.
Re: Question about extruder and his movement
June 24, 2013 03:40PM
About x and y I would go for bed just move in y direction I can imagine wobble issues having your bed move y and z

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login