Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament Issue

Posted by 750magna 
Filament Issue
June 28, 2013 05:39PM
I'm having problems with some black ABS that I bought, if I manually extrude a few cms, sometimes it comes out straight, but all of a sudden it will start to spin and extrude like a tightly wound rope.
You can see a pic in this ablum [plus.google.com]
I don't have these problems with the natural colored abs, so I assume it's the plastic, but I can't figure out why it would behave this way. I'm using a trinity labs metal magma extruder, and I've tried temps from 220 to 235 and have had the same results.

I get nice looking prints with natural abs, but the black has been a disaster. A few layers will go down perfect, then some really nasty bumps and ripples, with horrible looking corners will show up. at least 50-75% of the print will have imperfections, making it completely useless.

Let me know if any of you have seen this before.
Re: Filament Issue
June 28, 2013 07:59PM
What brand of filament is it? I've noticed there can be a huge difference in print quality betweeen cheap and more expensive filaments.
June 29, 2013 12:57AM
That hotend is all metal I would put your temps higher say around 250 and give it a try. You will probs find its around 230c inside the hotend then
June 29, 2013 01:17AM
750magna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm having problems with some black ABS that I
> bought, if I manually extrude a few cms, sometimes
> it comes out straight, but all of a sudden it will
> start to spin and extrude like a tightly wound
> rope.

During manual extrusion, it's quite normal for the filament to behave like that.

June 29, 2013 01:35AM
I agree the make of it can mean a lot. I have a roll of black from 3D Ink that is unusable it's so bad. Thus it's the one and only roll I bought from them. On mine when it prints it's like scaly and rough like wood that's been hit with a rasp. All my other blacks print fine.
June 29, 2013 05:58AM
Black is the most difficult color in the spectrum of ABS and PLA's when it comes to reliability. You can't really see what is in there. With a white for example, producers need to be more careful with contaminations because you will see it in white, but black doesn't really show when there is a contamination in the filament.

That said, there are still a lot of good blacks on the market.
June 29, 2013 02:03PM
It's from Voxel Factory. I'm not sure who their supplier is, but maybe I just got unlucky and got a bad spool from them. Does anyone have any recomendations for a good filament supplier in Canada. Shipping and lead times from the US are a lot more expensive.
June 29, 2013 05:29PM
hello fellow canadian.

so far we do not have much for stores that i can recomend of the top of my head, what are you looking for i can recomend a few places from amazon to robot shop. i would love to order more from the us but the customs is a killer for me. they seem to like my wallet and ups even more soo.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
June 29, 2013 06:04PM
Hi,

750magna

It's from Voxel Factory. I'm not sure who their supplier is

Apparently their supplier is Repraper.com from Hong Kong. [forums.reprap.org]

Lulzbot have set up a Toronto warehouse and they do stock ABS (and PLA) filament. See jebba's post on the Lulzbot forum on what colors they have at the moment.

For a single 1kg spool 2-7 days ground shipping is under $10. Right now it seems they are not charging the GST and have to eat its cost. They are a lot more expensive than Voxel though. But with Voxel I would need to pay both GST and TVQ so the difference is just a few dollars.

My AO-100 came with 3 five-pound 3mm ABS spools and I have yet to purchase more, so I couldn't give a comparison to other brands. All three colors (natural, red and black) have worked well so far so I'm inclined to stay with them.

Other than that there's EckerTech in St. Catharines. They only have 3mm ABS. I haven't found feedback on their filament.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login