Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Copper Plated Heatbed - Yes or No?

Posted by genelmx 
Copper Plated Heatbed - Yes or No?
June 09, 2013 01:10PM
Hi, i'm just starting to accumulate the parts for a Prusa but the PCB Heatbed wiki has got me a little confused. [reprap.org]

"WARNING!!! Be aware from where you buying the PCB heatbeds!! There is one critical thing, the heatbed must be etched directly from 35um copper clad! ASK YOUR SELLER!!! If the board is plated, as it's normally done, no manufacturer can guarantee the final thickness of copper or even how even the copper is around the board. Which means that the final power wont be evenly distributed around the board or the board wont have high enough output generally.
Main warning sign are plated holes! Plating of holes requires copper plating.

So is a copper plated heatbed desired or not? I'd assume that the warning means "If you see a heatbed with copper plated holes, don't get it"

But then why would this seller: RepRapDiscounts describe copper plated holes as if it was a good feature.
Re: Copper Plated Heatbed - Yes or No?
June 09, 2013 04:16PM
Im not sure about the whole copper plated thing but I have a heated bed from RepRapDiscount and it works fantastic.
June 09, 2013 05:01PM
I think you are confused, or maybe I'm confused, but you should know that the materials that you see on a PCB are copper. And I think they mean that you should look for an etched PCB and not one where the applied the copper to the areas needed?

Anyway, If you buy an MKII heatbed you're fine anyway.
July 05, 2013 12:42PM
For the most part, if the copper plating is light enough, it won't affect the resistance of the heater traces by alot. The problem arise when copper plating is too thick, then it will lower the resistance of the heater traces. Another way to compensate for the extra copper is to having narrower heater traces.

At the end, it really doesn't matter as long as your total resistance is in the intended range.
July 05, 2013 02:40PM
My understanding is normal PCB manufacturing starts with pre-preg which has only 0.5oz copper. When the holes are plated through it approximately doubles the copper everywhere but is not an accurate process. So PCB beds have avoid the plating step if they are to be an accurate resistance.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login