Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thermal rubber on heated bed anyone?

Posted by tmorris9 
Thermal rubber on heated bed anyone?
August 10, 2013 12:02AM
So I know that my glass never gets near the temp of the heated bed because there is little thermal contact between them. You would not put a heat sync on a CPU without thermal grease for the same reason.

So I had some thermally conductive foam rubber (1/8" thick silicone foam) that I used in an old business. It's silicone and is a spongy soft so it conforms to any variation in contact. I just tried it and it's working as the top of the glass is not less than 9c different than the bottom of the heated PC board.

I am not sure if this will help prints as I am just now printing using it for the first time (had to re level the bed and such to accommodate the extra thickness) but so far it's printing great.

This may end up being something that is not a big deal (only time will tell) and it can be expensive, I used a used piece that I had laying around but a sheet may cost around $60 unless a lower priced product can be found.

It has a side benefit that it's spring like so may protect the head or bed if you accidentally drive the nozzle into the glass (been there done that).

Just curious if anybody has ever tried something like this, or if you think it may be a benefit?

Thanks!
Re: Thermal rubber on heated bed anyone?
August 10, 2013 12:18PM
The heater I use is a red rubber pad.
I think a PCB heater is encapsulated in thermal rubber.

Example
QU-BD heated beds
[store.qu-bd.com]
Re: Thermal rubber on heated bed anyone?
August 10, 2013 10:56PM
So I have printed quite a few items and I must say I like it. Not sure how to describe it but prints seem to stick better and the bed seems much more evenly heated. It's not only transferring the heat to the glass but also acts as a thermal shock absorber.

Still not sure it would be worth the price of new a new piece of rubber but I am keeping mine with it in place. It does take about 3-4 minutes longer to come up to heat but I expected that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login