Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Leapfrog Creatr

Posted by doogleass 
Leapfrog Creatr
March 21, 2013 06:30PM
Well it's been about a week with my new Creatr and I wanted to put a little review out there.

First off this is my first 3D printer so everything from the slicer software to the printer itself has been a new experience. I've been working hard to make models and revise them until I get exactly what i need out of everything, I've had some learning lessons along the way but I feel some of them could have been avoided.

When I first started up the system after removing the zip ties and the other steps I noticed many of the screws for the outside paneling were loose, likely from shipping, so I tightened them up and proceeded to load the first model. As it started there was a fair amount of vibratory noise being made as the extruder head would travel front to back, Since I had never seen on operate in person I figured it was just the sound of the motors. After a few more prints I noticed black streaks on the inside of the panels, apparently the cradle was rubbing against them so i removed and put some bow in them. Problem fixed.

Next i had a problem with the first layer of the print not being pressed onto the print surface. I found that the rear bolts holding the plate into position were loose to where the nut was backed way off, so i tightened them and checked for a level bed. Of course fixing that only allowed more clearance so i found the Z home stop and adjusted until the extruders seemed to be at the right spot. Problem fixed.

During many prints the filament will unravel and become wrapped around the base of the bearing plates, this is painful because I walk away for 30 minutes and come back to wasted plastic and time. I'm working on printing a table for the spools to sit on that will actually hold them in place and keep the filament from getting tangled. There should really be a nub in the center to at least stop the spools from falling off the bearing plates....

My secondary stepper motor is not functioning, when I heat the extruder and tell it to feed in a new filament it starts to pull it in but begins to click, plastic does come out the hot end and it seems plenty hot, more than likely a motor issue. My first issue with this motor involved the gear being loose that grabs the filament, I tightened it and thought maybe it was slipping but the shaft clicks with the gear now.

Leapfrog supplied the mailing label sheet for the print bed, there has to be a better way as these are tough to reapply.

The wires going to the extruder head runs along the bed and has pulled off some prints, I've had to adjust it so it wouldn't rub on everything.

Besides all of this I have made a few good prints and wasted a good bit of time on others. They did send us a .2mm extruder which I am grateful for, I will be trying it soon. Its been a good learning experience and for the price i guess it is what it is.
Re: Leapfrog Creatr
March 21, 2013 06:46PM
Thanks for you experiences!

Which slicer-software is it using/are you using?

Can you show us pictures of your prints?

Did it come with some settings or did you have to calibrate the whole system? (Speeds, temperatures, retraction, ..)

Thank you!
March 21, 2013 07:24PM
I'm using Slic3r v9.8 which works fairly well until at times it decides not to put filament where it belongs, leaving out major layers. Or taking a very long time, I'm splicing a larger item and its at 4,000 minutes... may have put too many triangles into that one, previous, less detailed models took around 400 minutes.

We went off of the known good numbers we found online and I have revised them since to achieve a better print.

Also when using two extruders, slic3r doesn't want to fill in the first bottom layer but it will do the second.... when i check out the indivudual layer after slicing it has large gaps. It doesn't do this when i use one extruder to do the same print.... any thoughts?
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20130321_182005.jpg (49.3 KB)
open | download - IMG_20130321_182128.jpg (93.3 KB)
open | download - IMG_20130321_182052.jpg (66.4 KB)
open | download - IMG_20130321_182159.jpg (138.9 KB)
open | download - IMG_20130321_182227.jpg (64.5 KB)
March 21, 2013 07:35PM
This is not right (The times). I need to look more closely at it. For the amount of marketing they do, I expected a slight ly better print, but frankly, you are starting at a good place!
June 03, 2013 03:48PM
Hi Doogleass Friend,
I am a new to this and am planning to buy Creatr or the makerbot replicator 2x.
How do you compare CREATR with 2x..? Any thoughts.

Since I am in US, I am inclined to go for 2X, as the support can come in handy, but the 2x is also called Experimental ,as one has to tinker with it I think, before getting the settings right.

cheers
Lawrence
June 03, 2013 03:52PM
Buy the Affinia please, save yourself the trouble of considering makerbot. Its the best print out there.
August 10, 2013 07:36AM
Hi guys,
I've been running the CreatR without any problems and I think it's a good printer.
It can make very nice prints !
I'm a bit more upset by the company's attitude regarding their customers !
Having good products is one thing.
Having good service is another...

You can raed more here for those who are interested :
[www.reppersdelight.spacymen.com]

Anar
August 18, 2013 02:28PM
I honest only have good things to say about the support provided by Leapfrog.

My first printer arrived bang up (thanks UPS - the wooden pallet was broken in half, how the heck do you handle your packages?), and Leapfrog right away send me a replacement. Months later I still had issues with the printer, most likely because this one was a little banged up as well on arrival.
LeapFrog send me a replacement for free (new model) and I can say I'm a happy printer right now.

I'm very new to 3D printing so I still have a lot to learn to make good prints, but I can say (I live in the US) that the support I have gotten from Leapfrog was excellent.
August 22, 2013 06:08PM
I have a makerbot duel and a Creatr
FYI don't bother with the makerbot 2 or 2X, I have a buddy who works with makerbot and doesn't recommend it.
The older models work better.
My makerbot duel hasn't given me a problem since I brought it Two years ago.
I got my Creatr, 2 months ago and what a beautiful machine it is.
The prints on both machines a very nice.
its up to you on how you want your prints to come out.
I do recommend the Creatr highly or a makerbot duel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login