Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what does polycarbonate stick to?

Posted by aduy 
what does polycarbonate stick to?
August 30, 2013 12:02AM
so now that ive finished building my own 3d printer, ive begun some experiments with polycarbonate, you can basically dry it for 2 hours in the oven at 250f to remove cloudyness, then it can be printed perfectly onto a kapton heated bed at 120c using abs juice on top of that. so obviously abs sticks to polycarbonate, my question is what else does it stick to? for instance could you print out a thin layer of pla, then print on top of that using only blue tape? is there any way to print it on an unheated bed? perhaps one made from abs sheet? I will be doing some testing soon, but i just wanted to probe the community to see if anyone else has tested this out before.
Re: what does polycarbonate stick to?
August 30, 2013 03:28PM
I like your PLA idea, I'd think it would kind of melt into it. Like if you printed a 2 or 3 layer raft with a lot of little holes for mechanical adhesion.....like perfboard.
August 30, 2013 06:07PM
I was thinking you could dual extrude and print a raft basically 50% pla, then 50% polycarbonate, then rotate it 90 degrees and do the same thing, then print on top of that so the pla is woven into the polycarbonate. not sure how well that would work with just one layer by just changing the filament though.
August 30, 2013 06:56PM
How about glue stick on kapton? It worked with a lot of plastics for me. UHU seems to be the strongest, getting PET, PLA and ABS to stick extremely well. Taulman 618 also stuck IIRC, but pulled the glue stick layer up from the kapton.
An advantage of glue stick is that the bottom layer becomes rather matte (which I like since the whole print looks more homogeneous).
August 30, 2013 07:40PM
Im going to try cold bed stuff first since my print bed is only 200x200 and my printer can do up to 500^2
August 30, 2013 08:31PM
ok there we go we have a winner! cold bed, bluetape with thin abs juice on top. obviously the bed im using is not flat but other than that its stick well enough.
August 30, 2013 09:21PM
ok so it kept stuck on the tape, but it was pulling it up and the piece became pretty warped, it is a flat plate though. so next test will be abs juice on plain glass un heated

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2013 09:22PM by aduy.
August 31, 2013 07:24AM
That's interesting. If you are successful, both standard materials and more advanced ones can be used without a heated bed which makes building a small, light home-use RepRap easier and safer. So a Tantillus with an all-metal hot end might be the ideal solution for 90% of what one would be likely to print.
Do you know anything about fumes the PC might release when heated?
In light of some recent findings that the extrusion of plastic releases nano particles (link), I am thinking of installing a carbon filter anyway, but it would be nice to know what exactly one is dealing with.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login