Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

setting home location points

Posted by Bob hewson 
setting home location points
June 15, 2012 04:08PM
I have been doing the callibration of my Prusa/Mendel printer but seem to have everything screwed up.

For starters, which is the "front". I believe the front is the closest in the picture attached.

I have the micro switch located for "Y" closest to the camera (front left) and actuates when the Heated bed moves to its limit towards the front.

The "X" microswitch is located on the right hand side on the rear horizontal smooth rod

The "Z" microswitch is located on the right hand vertical smooth rod.

Am I correct or not? Opinions/advice will be appreciated.

Bob
Attachments:
open | download - Bob - printer 1-1_edited-1-1.jpg (108 KB)
Re: setting home location points
June 15, 2012 04:15PM
You can use rear-right or front-left as 0,0 as long as the directions are set correctly it doesn't matter.
June 16, 2012 12:52PM
agreed, also I think the printer looks great. One suggestion I have, which you by no means have to do, is to move the circuit board. Thats where I originally had mine and it limited my z-height by half (about 40mm) after I moved it I can get 80mm. This is only if you are interested in taller prints at somepoint.

Have fun with it!

Ryan
Quality Engineer & Hobbyist
thingsandtrains.blogspot.com
June 16, 2012 02:12PM
Thanks Ryan,

I saw that comment on electrinics somewhere else too, but of course, not until I had completed mine. Moving will require a lot of rewiring to physically accomodate a move.

Where have you located your elecrtonics?
June 17, 2012 11:54AM
Yes that was the pain when I moved mine too, rerunning the locations for all the wires smiling smiley With mine I put it right up on to, the plexiglass was too long to fit parallel to the top bars so I drilled some new holes and zip tied it perpendicular to the top cross bars.

This picture shows where I happened to put it to run my wires too. I also printed an enclosure and am still working on the cooling for it.

Ryan
June 17, 2012 01:59PM
Ryan,

Thanks, that does look like a logical out of the way place. Too bad tips like this are omitted from the instructions.

Bob
June 17, 2012 02:12PM
I much prefer having the circuit board vertically on the side of the printer, as I mount spool holders on the top. You also have to account for not only how far up the carriage can move, but also how you are going to feed the extruder filament.

In Ryans picture, the mounting plate will block the filament feed for a large part of the right side print volume. Of course you can just rotate and move the print to the left side, as you very rarely print that tall across both axis anyway. Just saying. smiling smiley

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
June 17, 2012 03:03PM
Very true, it can block the filament a little, but I always print on the open side smiling smiley also because of the cooling system I have on my extrusion motor I cant get over far enough that way to ever block the filament. I wanted to mount vertically but couldnt run my wires in a way that made me happy.

Ryan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login