Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

source(s) for bowden (PTFE, Teflon, other?) tubing in the US?

Posted by discocyborg 
source(s) for bowden (PTFE, Teflon, other?) tubing in the US?
June 15, 2012 12:01PM
I'm implementing a bowden tube for my new fabricator design and I have two questions...
first, most people seem to be using PFTE/Teflon for the tubing - are there other options, especially if they're easier to source? someone at my local hackerspace was looking into automotive parts (brake lines I think, but not sure...) - and this could be attractive if it's easier + more widely available.

related, I'm also looking for a US (or cheap to ship to US) source for the tubing. the reprap wiki has a few sources but most are European. I found the McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-ptfe-tubing/=hz719v) but I'd like to have a few options.

ok, thanks!
Re: source(s) for bowden (PTFE, Teflon, other?) tubing in the US?
June 15, 2012 12:58PM
I bought my PTFE tube on ebay. Search for "teflon tubing 3mm". EDIT: Or perhaps 3.5-4mm is a better idea for 3mm filament?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2012 05:55AM by Nudel.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
June 15, 2012 01:22PM
mcmaster carr is the best source.
[www.mcmaster.com]
they even have metric if you scroll to the bottom!
June 15, 2012 03:19PM
All of the early Tantillus's used Nylon air tubing. It has a little more friction but does work and is cheap. You can get free scraps from companies that install Firestone air springs (truck accessory stores that sell canopies and lights etc).

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
I just got some replacement Teflon tubing from a Stateside outfit called SeeMeCNC. Haven't had a chance to install it yet, but it looks good. 2mm ID, 4mm OD, $2.50/ft.
June 16, 2012 03:15PM
I just looked at SeeMeCNC - thanks. unfortunately, they only seem to have 2mm teflon tubing (I'm using 3mm filament currently...) maybe in the future when/if I switch to 1.75mm,
June 20, 2012 11:03AM
for 1.75 mm : http://www.conrad.com/PTFE-TUBE-4-X-2-10M-WHITE.htm?websale7=conrad-intπ=583456&ci=SHOP_AREA_17410_0203914

for 3mm : http://www.conrad.com/PTFE-TUBE-4-X-2-10M-WHITE.htm?websale7=conrad-intπ=583469&ci=SHOP_AREA_17410_0203914

They have longer lengths, probably cheaper if you need a lot.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
June 22, 2012 02:58PM
Just to add to your options...I got bowden tubing a friend that got it from USPlastic.com about 10 months ago. My printer is finally running reliably and I've used it almost everyday for the past few months and it is working well. Here is an old thread about the tubing. [forums.reprap.org]

My bowden cable is probably 3 times longer than it needs to be. But the 3mm filament still slides smoothly through it. I just have my extruder cold-end assembly laying on my table. The extra length gives me a little flexibility on where I keep it. The only problem I've had with it as that I used some ABS filament thinking it was PLA and had the temp set too low at 200 deg C. The tube popped out of the holder on the cold-end because it couldn't push the filament through the hotend. Something had to give, I guess. I just popped the tube back in the holder and I haven't had any troubles since.

Any way, let me know what you choose and how it works out for you.
June 23, 2012 08:07AM
While taking my weekly stroll through Lowes, I found some tubing in the plumbing section thats raised some interest. Any thoughts on whether or not polyethylene tubing would work for a Bowden. The smallest they had in stock was 1/4"od x .17"id. (about 4mm id). Seemed rigid enough, but I've never worked with a bowden, so I'm not positive what it takes. Really cheap too! $0.16/ft.

Thanks for the insight!

Josh

//++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
//Prusa / RAMPS_1.4 & ATMega_2560 / Slic3r > Pronterface > Marlin / Luck
//++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
June 28, 2012 08:45PM
> While taking my weekly stroll through Lowes, I
> found some tubing in the plumbing section thats
> raised some interest. Any thoughts on whether or
> not polyethylene tubing would work for a Bowden.
> The smallest they had in stock was 1/4"od x
> .17"id. (about 4mm id). Seemed rigid enough, but
> I've never worked with a bowden, so I'm not
> positive what it takes. Really cheap too!
> $0.16/ft.

at that price, its probably cheap enough to blow through a couple of feet to see if it's worth it.
I might make a trip tomorrow anyhow and pick some up. I'll try to remember to post the results...
June 28, 2012 11:31PM
Awhile back I bought some of what it sounds like you are describing and it just did not seem slippery enough.
Advanced FluroTubes Manufacturers PTFE Teflon tubes in India using Dupont raw material.
Let me know your requirements in the future.

Savio
www.aftubes.com
January 10, 2013 07:31PM
There are some suppliers listed on this page : [reprap.org]
Add yours if you can smiling smiley

about // liberapay // flickr // wiki // thingiverse - github
October 10, 2013 05:58PM
I got 30ft of polyethylene tubing and it seems to work really well. It only cost me $2 for all of it and it came on a spool I can re use. I like it better than nylon and in some cases better than PTFE especially for the price.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login