Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

High temperature stepper motor?

Posted by DingbatCA 
High temperature stepper motor?
October 08, 2013 02:21PM
I am looking to build a hot box/compartment/chamber style 3D printer. I have been able to engineer around most of the heat related issues, like parts melting. But I can not find a stepper motor rated to operated in a 100C environment. I have found plenty of sites that have them, but none that sell them.

Ideas?
Re: High temperature stepper motor?
October 08, 2013 02:25PM
Maybe better to place the motor outside the box and use some kind of metal linkage to transfer the motion inside?
October 08, 2013 02:55PM
Getting metal linkage to transfer to the Y axis will be tricky, but possible. I was also pondering liquid cooling for the stepper. Might be simpler.
October 08, 2013 05:37PM
What kind of design is your printer derived from? For a H-Bot/CoreXY design, I have about figured out how to place the motors so that they are kept out of the chamber.

And how do you keep parts from melting? This is one thing I couldn't figure out yet to manage with ABS parts.
October 08, 2013 05:40PM
use polycarbonate parts, they are good up to 120c before they start softening.
October 08, 2013 05:58PM
Brilliant! I had not seen the H-Bot/CoreXY design. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for the note on polycarbonate. I was looking for something that would do well at 100C.
October 09, 2013 03:40AM
generally for abs you heat the chamber up to 80c max, the reason is because the abs is dead soft at this point, anything higher will result in drooping issues.
October 09, 2013 11:40AM
Thanks Aduy. I have been building CNC's for the last 12 years, but this will be my first 3D printer. I have no clue on most of the temperature settings. :-)
October 09, 2013 01:24PM
Have a look at [kuehlingkuehling.de]
They went with a liquid cooled solution, I have to admit it seems more sensible than mechanical linkage transfer.
October 09, 2013 01:40PM
I think placing to motors outside using a H-Bot configuration is currently by best option.

Does any one know what does the h-bot X-Y calculations? Is this done on the controller, or in Slic3r?
October 09, 2013 02:10PM
its a settings in the firmware, the best way to describe it is, each motor moves it in the 45 degrees direction, so basically you have a diamond printbed instead of a square.
October 09, 2013 02:22PM
Dumb question. What if the configuration is not square? 40X20 on the X-Y.
October 09, 2013 02:29PM
It still works, It converts it to Cartesian, so basically you move both motors one way it moves in the x direction, you move the motors opposite it moves in the y direction.
October 09, 2013 02:36PM
Aduy, thanks for all the help. I think it is time to start building. :-)
October 09, 2013 06:29PM
@aduy: yeah, I also would love to use polycarbonate for my printer. The only problem is that there doesn't seem to be any supplier in Europe that has it in 1.75mm. Even 3mm is hard to get and I am not willing to pay 25$ for a shipment from the US. Hope the situation improves soon.
October 09, 2013 10:07PM
yeah polycarb is really very expensive, and hard to print with. what parts do you need to have inside the build chamber? the extruder could be bowden to reduce weight and eliminate plastic parts inside the chamber. on my machine all of the frame vertexes are outside of the build chamber, so the only things that are exposed are the carriages and the z nut traps.
October 10, 2013 04:52PM
I am thinking of rebuilding my printer (currently a Mendel-Design) as an enclosed Bowden CoreXY-bot. The chamber itself is not a problem thanks to aluminium coated styrofoam, but the X and Y carriages and the Z assembly still pose problems. The build didn't start yet, as I am busy with other stuff at the moment, but the printer is constantly being developed in my head. Well, one possibility would be copying the heat barrier Stratasys put on their Mojo printer:

October 10, 2013 09:07PM
thats interesting, I have all my sides enclosed but hadnt thought of a good way to enclose the top, other than completely enclosing the whole thing.
October 10, 2013 10:15PM
Look at the placement of the motors on the UConduit (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:102972). It would be trivial to keep them out of the heated build chamber in this configuration.
October 10, 2013 10:48PM
on my machine they are actually outside of the frame fully, so i enclose the entire frame.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login