Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best Place to buy Pololu or Stepstick stepper motor Driver?

Posted by Jeehroen 
Best Place to buy Pololu or Stepstick stepper motor Driver?
October 14, 2013 03:07PM
Hello there, thank you for reading this.
Im building a generation 7 traumflug and now i need 5 Pololu or Stepstick Stepper motor drivers.
What is the best and cheapest place to buy these? I live in holland.

Ty for spending a little off your time with me.
Good evening
Re: Best Place to buy Pololu or Stepstick stepper motor Driver?
October 14, 2013 04:15PM
Take a look at official Pololu distributors if you can: [www.pololu.com]

I just found out the hard way that cheap Stepsticks cause enough problems to make up the difference in price sad smiley
If you can't get from an official Pololu distributor, try asking the seller about their boards.
woo
October 14, 2013 06:35PM
whats the difference? i dont use neither of both, but i have seen those stepsticks on ebay for $4.50, i may buy few pcs to try them
October 14, 2013 07:31PM
I've used Stepsticks, a Pololu A4988 (but broke it before I could print with it hot smiley ), and the Pololu DRV8825 board.

Stepsticks are an open design source (EDIT: derivative) of the Pololu A4988 stepper breakout board, although they use the same base chip to operate. There's subtle differences in the design of the PCB.
[reprap.org]
vs
[www.pololu.com]

Another thing I noticed is that my Stepsticks drew 17mA from the +5V when enabled, while the Pololus (both the DRV8825 and A4988) drew less than 5mA. With 4 of those going, my Sanguinololu's 7805 regulator got a bit toasty. (Maybe I have broken Stepsticks? I wouldn't know...)

I broke my Pololu A4988 before I could test its current handling capabilities, so I can't comment on its current vs a Stepstick. I however can say my Pololu DRV8825 without a heat sink are easily cooler than my Stepstick with heat sink, since I'm running Stepsticks for X and Y, and DRV8825 for Z and (direct drive) extruder. Where I live, the price difference between all of them was so small compared with shipping that I just bought up a bunch of DRV8825s when I got tired of overheating stepsticks on my extruder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2013 07:33PM by frontier204.
October 14, 2013 08:53PM
I bought these from reprapdiscount - cannot fault them!

[www.ebay.com]

Click here to login