Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pronterface issues

Posted by HereIgoAgain 
Pronterface issues
June 17, 2012 11:40AM
I have been using pronterface software with good success. However, occasionally I get a message similar to :

Warning: The input file is not manifold near edge 26.000000-29.000000. You might want to check the resulting G-code before printing.

=> Processing input file

=> Processing triangulated mesh

The model has overlapping or self-intersecting facets. I tried to repair it, however you might want to check the results or repair the input file and retry.

I have updated to the most recent version of the software ver 0.8.3 and yet I still get these messages. Any ideas ??
Re: Pronterface issues
June 17, 2012 12:14PM
It's a common error in badly exported or damaged STL files (which is why some of us doesn't really like STL very much).

You can sometimes fix it by running the file through netfabb basic, and repairing it with "remove degenerate faces", or editing it manually with a mesh editor (if the editor can even import the damaged STL).

Many times slic3r does a good job of fixing it automatically though, so just preview the gcode by scrolling through the layers in pronterface to make sure everythings okay.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
June 17, 2012 07:06PM
What do you use in place of stl files ??
June 17, 2012 07:58PM
STL is okay in itself if the mesh is exported properly. The problem is the format "allows" the meshes to be broken, so to reverse the process - like we do when generating gcode - is much harder. The problem is it's "tacked on" many 3D packages, which doesn't take into account the shortcoming of STL, often ending up with non-manifold and intersecting faces and so on. Sketchup is one of the worst at this, in my experience.

But I'm ranting, sorry. ^_^

Both skeinforge and slic3r can now slice almost everything fine, so I still use STL, I just make sure my meshes are as clean as possible. With OpenSCAD this includes modelling in a way to avoid intersecting faces and artefacts where you can. With Wings3D it comes down to make a clean quad mesh with proper edge loops. For others broken STL files, netfabb often can fix them enough to make them printable.

Slic3r also supports AMF and OBJ. I've used OBJ as a transition format between 3D programs for along time, and find it very versatile and stable. When exporting OBJ from Wings3D to slic3r, just make sure you triangulate the mesh and switch Y and Z axes, and it seems to work fine.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login