Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Arduino Detonation

Posted by mrPrik 
Arduino Detonation
November 09, 2013 07:16AM
I've just destroyed my second arduino mega building my first reprap. its supposed to be a prusa i3 but its turned more repstrap/crap because of a lack of a workshop. difficult to get accurate straight edges etc. both times the arduino damage resulted from bridging input/output pins on the board. it annoys me that they are so delecate.

first time i was testing one of those chinese 4pin mech endstops n didnt wire the two gnds together. assumed theyd already be connected. smoke and fizzle when clicked.

second time i was tryin to reconfig the heatbed output pin for attachment to a seven switch. changing pin 6 for pin 45 i stupidly thought i could hold my multimetr probe on one pin without it touching a nighbour aswell. a fizzle sound will tell u u just fried a surface mount transistor that cannot be replaced by hand. *swear words*

i;m so annoyed bcos now i have to wait maybe 5days for a new board and then it'll probably just explode. plus i cant afford a new one and have to borrow then 15quid i need to get the board quicker. i want this thing to f-ing print something.
Re: Arduino Detonation
November 09, 2013 08:44AM
If it is any consolation, I also damaged my Arduino by plugging in an endstop plug upside down.
It caused a direct short between +ve and earth.
Re: Arduino Detonation
November 09, 2013 10:28AM

I also damaged my Arduino by plugging in an endstop plug upside down.

You see? That's why some electronics have the slightly more expensive connectors with latches. But most people prefer the cheapo ones.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login