Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Untidy Finish on Prints

Posted by ayouden 
Untidy Finish on Prints
December 24, 2013 03:22PM
Hey,

I recently printed out this vase (See attachments) and as you can tell, the overall shape is good and recognisable.

However, if you look closer you can see what can only be described as swarf around the gaps in the vase.

There also seems to be quite a bit of unintentional bridging between different pillars of the vase (looks as if it hasn't retracted the plastic properly and has oozed out turning the travel movement between pillar)

So I was wondering what may have caused this, and how I would go about fixing it.

Thanks, ayouden

NFireLabs - The World First Modular 3D Printer - At An Affordable Price!
Attachments:
open | download - IMAG0210.jpg (533.5 KB)
open | download - IMAG0210.jpg (533.5 KB)
Re: Untidy Finish on Prints
December 24, 2013 03:29PM
You can probably fix this by tweaking your retraction or reducing the extrusion temperature. If that is PLA, what temperature are you using?
December 24, 2013 03:42PM
I have set Repetier to 210*C as I feel there is a large amount of heat loss from the Heater to the thermistor. But looking at it now, decreasing it by 10*C to 200*C would be more like the recommended 185*C.
December 24, 2013 04:19PM
if your printer is capable, speed up travel feed rate, and lower temp. both settings are available in slic3r. fine tuning is with lowering temp. caution, this will be different for each color, and feed stock batch, so to get better you will need to slightly adjust temp for each spool.

the increase in travel speed is to allow a clean break off of plastic, and not let it stretch then break.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login