Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Choosing PLA Filament

Posted by epicepee 
Choosing PLA Filament
January 13, 2014 06:39PM
I'm new to the RepRap world, and am looking for good quality PLA filament. Quality of the resulting part is the most important factor, though price also plays a role. I don't care about appearances. What is the best place to get it?
A2
Re: Choosing PLA Filament
January 13, 2014 06:44PM
Printing Material Suppliers
[reprap.org]
January 13, 2014 08:15PM
Yeah, but that's every supplier that anyone uses. Is there somewhere I can find the best few?
January 14, 2014 02:18AM
[www.faberdashery.co.uk] do some of the best pla available. Not the cheapest but can't fault it
January 14, 2014 07:50AM
I've used [www.justpla.com] and had a lot of luck with it, it prints very nicely at 170-175 while the PLA I have from Ultimachine likes to be printed at 205 but seems to print a little easier. I usually just shop for the best price out of places I trust.
January 14, 2014 09:07AM
I've had good luck with makergeeks PLA.
January 14, 2014 10:13AM
tjb1
I've used [www.justpla.com] and had a lot of luck with it, it prints very nicely at 170-175 while the PLA I have from Ultimachine likes to be printed at 205 but seems to print a little easier. I usually just shop for the best price out of places I trust.
I've used JustPLA, their prices are great and can be bought with free shipping from Amazon Prime for $32/kg. I've had great luck with their Turquoise and not-so-great luck with their black but I've got extruder issues at the moment that might be to blame.

The Faberdashery stuff is excellent but is really expensive if you look at what a kilogram would cost.. If you buy lots of colors in little pieces it's not so bad.

I've also just put an order in with PushPlastics, which are US manufactured and ship from the US, and have great prices and claim to have quality PLA. The fact that it's not imported from China / rebranded was good enough for me to try. I think it's only 20-something per kilogram as well, which is a fraction of what some of the other websites are charging.
January 15, 2014 06:03PM
Just ordered a kilo from PushPlastics, $31.50 with shipping. We'll see how well it works.
January 15, 2014 09:18PM
epicepee
Just ordered a kilo from PushPlastics, $31.50 with shipping. We'll see how well it works.

My order just showed up today. I got the assortment of 5 or 6 colors so it might be a day or two before I can try them all and report back.
January 17, 2014 04:37AM
Regarding the PLA filament, I got some points to make.

1 There are some printer which using special filament. For example UP filament, the PLA filament in the market usually does not fit UP.UP printer is the one I know,but
there may be other brand.

2 Diameter. For makerbot, Ultimaker and other international brand, seems the smaller the tolerance is,the better the print is. But get some China brand, we did not have
so good experience.Very surprise.

If you want to try ECO pla, we are very please to offer some sample. 0.05mm tolerance and 20 colors available.

China 3D Printing Filament Factory
0.05mm Tolerance/22 Colors/ Fast Delivery
Ana Lucia
Tel:0086-13418510805
www.ecoreprap.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login