Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Critique my model for printing

Posted by WhiskeyMike 
Critique my model for printing
February 12, 2014 12:54PM
Can you take a look at my model and critique it for printing? I still have to add some ribs to strengthen it and a few mounting brackets. I may thicken the walls as they are about 2mm now and I don't want a lot of flex. It's a switch and gauge panel for a Jeep and is mounted above the rear view mirror to the top of the windshield bar. I plan to print this in ABS. The dimensions are about 7" wide, and 4" deep.

I don't have a printer yet, but i'm about to order one now that I've proven to myself that I can model what I'm looking to do. Do you see any issues with how this is structured that a printer would have a difficult time? Also, does it matter how it's oriented in my model? Or will slicer and the following steps allow me to select which side is down when printing?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2014 12:55PM by WhiskeyMike.
Attachments:
open | download - Instrument Panel v2.pdf (126.8 KB)
Re: Critique my model for printing
February 12, 2014 01:16PM
It looks fine from a printing point of view. Only trouble spots you might have are the holes and that circular part that comes out the front. Shouldnt be too bad. worse comes to worse you just print it with supports.

As for orientation, you should be able to re-orient it in the 3D printer host program prior to slicing.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
A2
February 12, 2014 01:22PM
If you want a better finish, split the model up.
Locate the class A surfaces on the print bed.
Use glue to assemble or add a boss to screw it together.
The protruding bezel on the front face could be replaced with an O-ring to help with that surface finish.
February 12, 2014 02:52PM
Thanks for the insight folks. A2, regarding the O-ring. Do you mean an additional extrusion around the circle that provides some thickness or is it something different?
A2
February 12, 2014 03:00PM
You have boss's on either side of the front panel.
To get a nice finish on the front side you need to remove the bezel.
To replace the bezel, I'm suggesting that you use an O-ring.
You could use a small pocket to nest the O-ring to improve the visual transition.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login