Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramps 1.4 vs Sanguinololu

Posted by ayouden 
Ramps 1.4 vs Sanguinololu
February 10, 2014 02:51PM
Hey,

I am currently using a Sanguinololu board for my 3D Printer, however I am thinking of upgrading to Ramps 1.4.

I know you can have 2 extruders with ramps, but what are the other pro's?

Maybe more efficient etc?

I am not sure.

Can anyone give me some pro's and con's?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2014 02:52PM by ayouden.

NFireLabs - The World First Modular 3D Printer - At An Affordable Price!
Re: Ramps 1.4 vs Sanguinololu
February 13, 2014 03:23PM
1: twice as much flash memory (atmega2560 vs atmega1284) but HALF as much ram and eeprom.
2: More available I/O pins if you want to add LCD, SD card etc ....
3: Can add additional shield boards UNDER the RAMPS to support other ideas such as WIFI, etc

BUT Sanguinololu maybe be cheaper, smaller solution.

BOTH are well supported by all firmware. I guess the RAMPS is a better solution for the hacker that wants to mod things,
while the Sanguinololu is better for a packaged system that you want to put into production.

IF you really want to experiment look at the RAMPS-FD for the Arduino Due that uses an ARM processor.
February 13, 2014 04:34PM
I own both and think Ramps performs much better, however there is one thing I can't find back in the firmware with Ramps (Marlin), and that is when my axes home, and they are already on home, they move away from the endstop for a few mm and move back again to home position. I really like that in my Sanguinololu and haven't been able to set it up like that in my Ramps!!
February 13, 2014 05:15PM
Hey,

I have got my Ramps 1.4 fully working now and it is brilliant!

With your issue about the homing, my Sang and my Ramps do it. Have you tried getting hold of a fresh file of Marlin and updating your values again?

NFireLabs - The World First Modular 3D Printer - At An Affordable Price!
February 13, 2014 05:34PM
I can't speak for Ramps since I haven't tried. But you can run 2 Sanguinololu together for 3 extruders. Or the Melzi, which is just a Sanguilololu with the stepper drivers built into the board.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login