Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Suitable motors

Posted by GITRDUN 
Suitable motors
June 24, 2012 04:01PM
[www.ebay.com]

Can anyone tell me if these motors are powerfull enough for a Prusa or are they barely usable? I bought 5 of them and wired them up and they will move the axis but not easily. If i turn the trim pots up beyond about 25% the motors get screaming hot and doesnt seem to make any difference in motor torque. I have not found any literature instructing how to correctly set motors and drivers beyond turning the trim pots up untill the motors buzz then turn back down till its still. Is there something else im missing?
Re: Suitable motors
June 24, 2012 04:27PM
I'm not sure about power but they appear to be high voltage/low current motors, where I think that most people use low voltage/high current (where high and low are relative!). Like a lot of people, I bought mine from Zapp (I think that they were these) and apart from the voltage/current ratings, the other thing that leaps out is that the eBay ones have less than half the holding torque, and I would guess that this would also apply to torque available while rotating as well.

Not sure what stepper drivers you are using but I have Pololu boards, and based on the online suggestions (try googling something like Pololu current limit setting) I just tweaked mine to correspond to a nominal 1A limit. But that would be way over the top for the eBay motors which are rated at a lot less.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login