Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmware question

Posted by Bill Clark 
Firmware question
April 07, 2014 01:14AM
I don't think the firmware section gets a lot of traffic so would any of you firmware savvy gents mind taking a look at this?
[forums.reprap.org]
Re: Firmware question
April 07, 2014 05:00AM
Quote: " repeatable nozzle height"? Are you saying that whenever you home your workhorse, your Z height is inconsistent?

April 07, 2014 07:15AM
No. the switch appears consistent. I mean I may want .01 or .015mm clearance for example but want to achieve that without the use of a "feel" gauge. In other words, touch the nozzle to my 50.8mm tall electronic height indicator I use for setting milling cutters and then enter a offset value of 50.81

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2014 07:16AM by Bill Clark.
April 07, 2014 07:39AM
Take a look at this may be different approach, but does work:
[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.de]
April 07, 2014 07:46AM
how does this electronic height indicator work? if it can be made to output a 5v or close a relay on contact.. if so just use it instead of a mechanical z endstop switch

Then put something like the following into your gcode start file
g28 (home all axis)
g92 z50.81 (z is now at 50.81)

remove block.

g1 z0 (move to z0)

has to be above z50.8 to work though..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2014 07:54AM by Dust.
April 07, 2014 08:37AM
is this the robo printer The screws they use for the Z are not anti-backlash so the whole thing relies on gravity keeping it pulled one way if the Z in any way as any bind at all in places it will cause this. The X carriage has to fall by its own weight to keep all the backlash out you could possibly test by adding a good amount of weight to the X just for the test not to run and use your height gauge and see how accurate it is with extra weight

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2014 08:50AM by cnc dick.
April 07, 2014 01:00PM
Dust, I think you nailed it. The gauge does turn on a light powered by 4.5v (3x1.5v batts)
will the 5v signal work down to 4.5v or a little less. No need to add code as Repetier allows you to enter a Z offset.

Dick, yes it is robo.the machine is consistent (now that I replaced the screws, nuts, shafts and squared it up. just looking for an accurate way of setting nozzle height to a particular value
April 07, 2014 01:24PM
Why does it need to go into the firmware? If you are always using repetier, the Z height offset tends to be a set-it-and-forget-it value.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
April 07, 2014 07:20PM
My first thought was that if the homing sequence could be ran for Z without driving the motor then the switch could be manually triggered after nozzle height was set.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2014 07:21PM by Bill Clark.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login