Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'm New and Confused

Posted by 3Der 
I'm New and Confused
June 25, 2012 11:15AM
Hello all,
This seems like a great forum with tons of nice and helpful people. I am very new to this 3D Printing thing and I am confused about the difference between the Prusa Mendel, MendelMax, Wallace, Original Mendel, and RepRap Pro Huxley. What are the differences. What does everyone here use. Any introduction or information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Re: I'm New and Confused
June 25, 2012 11:35AM
Hello,

Most of it is down to what you are looking for in a 3D printer, size, cost, quality. Good results can be obtained by all the printers you talk about -

The RepRap Wiki describes the machines in the following way -

Prusa Mendel - Full-sized RepRap, Focused On Low Cost and Ease of Sourcing
Mendel90 - Full-sized RepRap, Focused On Structural Rigidity, simple construction, Ease of Sourcing and scalability.
RepRapPro Huxley - Smaller RepRap design to reduce part count and give portability.
MendelMax - Full-sized RepRap Focused on Structural Rigidity and Ease of Assembly
Wallace - Smaller RepRap designed to reduce part count and minimize complexity of build
Tantillus - Smaller RepRap - has a fully printable case designed for travel - compact printer.

These are all popular machines, the Prusa mendel is the most common built out of that list.

So what are you looking for in a 3D printer? if we know more about you, we can help direct you, but if you ask which one is better?, you will just get 10 different views, as they are all just a little bit different.

In my view the most important thing for a RepRap is that you build it yourself, if you can do that, it's half the challenge and you will be able to fix it when it goes wrong, and it will go wrong many, many times.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
June 25, 2012 02:02PM
Hi richrap,
thanks for the response. I am most concerned with cost, resolution, and how easy to build it, I don't own a soldering iron, so I guess that is an important factor as well.
June 25, 2012 02:31PM
This may help, to create the plastic pieces for the kit, I have access to a 3D Printer so I would just want to buy the motor, rods, and extruder. Is any soldering required? Thanks.
June 25, 2012 03:34PM
@3der.

Hi there,
If your not looking for a complete kit, i could set you up with motors
Wires, rods, electronics and what not for the price that I get everything.

Check out my website at japica.com

you can email me directly @ japica.com@gmail.com for the custom items you need.
June 25, 2012 05:34PM
What would be the price? Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login