Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pen Plotting Tool Chains?

Posted by Erik G 
Pen Plotting Tool Chains?
February 07, 2014 08:16PM
Hi all,

I just want to preface this post by saying that i have searched the interwebs far and wide in search of an easy way take an image file and generate gcode for plotting on my printer.
Most of what i have found is not geared towards the typical printing toolchain, and is more geared towards EMC2 controlled machines.
I have seen videos on youtube of people plotting with reprap, and i have asked for info in the comments and have not received much love.
most of the info in the wiki is quite outdated and searching the forums for "pen", "plotter" etc, yield very few (if any) results.

Ideally my end goal is to export an image(jpg or png) from a PCB editing software and plot it with an extra fine tip sharpie onto copper-clad.

I have tried png out of gEDA to SVG out of inkscape to an attempt to extrude it in the Z axis and save it with Blender into an STL and slice that STL. No dice.
I have tried several 2d to STL converters and have had mixed results. I was able to get an STL but it did not plot at all.

So what i am asking from you all is a little guidance on a tool chain you recommend for what i am trying to do.
If someone out there has done this before, please gimme a hand. Im pulling my hair out here!!

A million thanks, Cheers,
-Erik
Re: Pen Plotting Tool Chains?
February 07, 2014 08:41PM
Gcodetools is a nice plug-in for Inkscape. Its really works, but its not the same gcode and doesnot fit for my pronterface. only works fine with like linuxCNC.
[www.cnc-club.ru]
February 07, 2014 08:44PM
there is also cambam which is pretty good for this sort of thing,

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

February 07, 2014 09:14PM
You can use makecam to do it. It's a free browser-based cam tool -- takes svg input.

www.makercam.com
February 07, 2014 10:29PM
so what is the difference between gcode for CNC machines and 3d printers?
February 08, 2014 09:24AM
I think Mach3 does this, and you can configure the post processor to be friendlier for reprap host programs.
February 08, 2014 12:39PM
Thanks for the input guys ill have a look at all of those options.

CNC machines can handle certain G## movements for circles where as i believe most Reprap firmwares can only handle straight lines so a circle turns into a bunch of short lines.
I was doing some thinking and i would not be surprised if there was a firmware i could load up to my reprap instead of marlin that could handle the different Gcode.

What hardware are you all on? RAMPS controller or are you using a different controller?

Again thanks, ill spend some time today looking at the options you have laid out.
-Erik
February 08, 2014 03:46PM
So i have found a solution.

I export a PNG or JPG from PCB editor and open that in shapeways 2D-3D converter. Found on their website.
Then save that file. The filetype is x3db.
open this file in Netfab Basic and export as STL.
Open this in slicer of choice and set up the proper settings.

I still have to get the proper slicer settings (KISSslicer in this case) but the results are promising.
See the attached image.

Thanks for your guys' help. I stumbled upon Shapeways converter by searching and learning about the CAM software you introduced me to above.

-Erik
Attachments:
open | download - 20140208_114811 (640x360).jpg (111 KB)
February 08, 2014 04:10PM
It's not hard to make the g code created by gcodetoolos reprap compatible.
You just open the file in a text editor and remove all unnecessary codes with search & replace.
I bet someone could easily write a post processor to do this job.
As for arc interpolation (G2/G3), at least the repetier firmware supports it.

Theres a picture i plotted a few months ago when i had no hotend.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2014 04:51PM by loco.
Re: Ramps Being Used For Laser Engraving
April 16, 2014 03:11PM
thanks for the cambam post processor
I am going to be using one of the ramps accessory pins and m42 to turn on my laser. This would be my on M42 P4 S255 and this would be my off M42 P4 S0
I have tried changing this in your post processor but the gcode does not change. Where would I change this to generate gcode on cambam? I was using inkscape and the unicorn plugin for some gcode generation but it seems it has some issues. I would really like to use cambam with my ramps flashed with marlin

thanks
bryan
Re: Ramps Being Used For Laser Engraving
April 16, 2014 03:14PM
sorry guys that post was supposed to be in a different thread
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login