Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Build a Prusa to Print a Printer

Posted by Akya2120 
Build a Prusa to Print a Printer
May 05, 2014 02:03PM
Hello,

This is my first post here and I am happy to be a learning member in this community! I am building a Prusa i3xL from DIY tech shop for a school program. I want to be able to print my own printer when I am done so I can also get a 3D printer out of it. My question to all you more knowledgeable folks is this. Should I print the parts for another Prusa, or should I look for another reprap? If you think I should look into a different reprap please make a recommendation, and tell me why you made that recommendation. Thanks for your time!

On another note, I am still reading the incomplete beginners guide and I am feeling a little intimidated because I am supposed to build a 3D printer with one other friend from class in a month. Seems reasonable to me but I am totally new to 3D printers and started learning about arduino and code a little more than a month ago. Thanks again!

Best regards
Re: Build a Prusa to Print a Printer
May 08, 2014 05:54PM
The 3D printed parts are only so much of the printer, and on some printers, not a part at all.
Your first questions would be: What parts can I get? and, What parts can I afford? If you need to buy it from China to afford it, look forward to a 30 day wait.

Most printers use the same parts (linear rods, electronics, motors, end stops, etc.) it's the frame that's different.

Secondary questions would be:
Build platform size needs?
Do you have available workspace?
Where on your desk will it be put?
Will you need to store it away for the winter, or use it ALL the time?

If all else fails, you can design your own, using whatever materials you can source locally.
Re: Build a Prusa to Print a Printer
May 08, 2014 07:04PM
Just my 2ยข, if I were going to make a printer today, I would make a TAZ 3 or 4 from Lulzbot. All the files are on their website.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login