Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Autodesk to Release Open 3D Printer and Software Platform

Posted by vegasloki 
Autodesk to Release Open 3D Printer and Software Platform
May 14, 2014 11:46PM
Just ahead of Maker Faire Bay Area this weekend Autodesk has announced Spark, what they are calling an "open" platform for 3D printing.

CEO Carl Bass says

"Spark will be open and freely licensable to hardware manufacturers and others who are interested. Same for our 3D printer – the design of the printer will be made publicly available to allow for further development and experimentation. The printer will be able to use a broad range of materials, made by us and by others, and we look forward to lots of exploration into new materials."

[inthefold.autodesk.com]

It will be interesting to see what they consider "open". A piece in the New York Times Bass equiates this with what Google is doing with Android.

“There’s been a disconnect between designing objects and being able to print them,” said Carl Bass, chief executive of Autodesk. “I saw there were 40 different types of printer software, and that is what is holding this back.”

He likened the project to Google’s Android operating system for smartphones, which is offered free to any phone maker. Android has become the world’s most popular phone operating system, benefiting Google by encouraging customers to use its mobile products.

[bits.blogs.nytimes.com]

I'm heading to Maker Faire and plan on attending a presentation Bass is giving on Saturday. I'm interested to see what the response of the maker scene is to the announcement. Autodesk has to know that one of the reasons Android is so prevalent now is the licensing (and core functions/kernal). It's an Apache license with a modified Linux kernal with a GPL license. It's going to take a ) a capable program and b ) the same type of license (or perhaps a BSD style license) to gain traction. When companies like Sun and Novell started to embrace Linux that's when critical mass started in the backend/datacenter ecosystem for Linux. Perhaps the same thing will happen here.

ON EDIT From a piece on makezine there are a few more details (and an interview with Bass). It doesn't look like it will be a traditional open source license but more like a free license with restrictions and perhaps not available to everyone. IOW, not like Android where you basically download and get to work (or play).

Spark is an open 3D printing software platform that sits between digital information and 3D printing hardware. It will include the necessary algorithms (for example slicing and supports) to easily convert 3D models into the necessary format for 3D printing. It will also include tools for checking and repair of 3D models, utilities for print preview that are compatible with mobile and desktop operating systems, cloud connectivity, and the ability to publish and share models. Spark will be a highly extensible platform, with SDKs and APIs for software developers, materials engineers and designers who will be able to create software, services, and information on top of the platform.

Autodesk will license the basic aspects of the Spark platform for free to 3D printing manufacturers and software developers. There will be some restrictions and usage guidelines to ensure a consistent user experience.

[makezine.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2014 12:46AM by vegasloki.
Re: Autodesk to Release Open 3D Printer and Software Platform
May 15, 2014 07:52AM

I saw there were 40 different types of printer software, and that is what is holding this back.

*grin* That's an "interesting" attitude. With 40 softwares already existing, many of them freely downloadable with source code, he wants to make us believe software no. 41 would solve anything.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 15, 2014 08:28AM
Traumflug
*grin* That's an "interesting" attitude. With 40 softwares already existing, many of them freely downloadable with source code, he wants to make us believe software no. 41 would solve anything.
Your comment made me think of this xkcd.

I'd be very leary of anything "open" that Autodesk puts out.
A2
May 15, 2014 08:51AM
cdru
I'd be very leary of anything "open" that Autodesk puts out.

Makerbot software recursive scans all files on your hard drive!... FBI Ayers appointed SME's new 3D printing chief.
Makerbot software does recursive scan of all files on your harddrive! And it does it not only when it's run, it somehow runs all the time when the computer is on.
[forums.reprap.org]

FBI Ayers appointed SME's new 3D printing chief
Ayers will develop and manage all SME activities relating to additive manufacturing,
[www.tctmagazine.com]

It will be interesting to learn what the people with IT/programming skills will find hidden on Autodesk free software.
Best if Autodesk keeps one part of the program locked down, so the only way to find their hardware snooping software is through inference.
May 15, 2014 09:54PM
Traumflug

I saw there were 40 different types of printer software, and that is what is holding this back.

Spark is a platform not an application. His point is there are many different packages not integrated together and depending on the machine, requiring a different software. Currently there isn't a common API, only the proprietary packages are integrated but they aren't extendable. Using the model Linux, then Android used makes sense. My question is what the restrictions, if any, will be. Android handles this by letting anyone download the code and SDK but to be termed Android compatible there are certain criteria that need to be met. I think the idea is good but the test will be in the implementation. They aren't going to make money on printers or even the platform but the platform firs with the core business of selling design software. It also looks like they aren't focusing on the DIY crowd but rather the lower end commercial crowd and manufacturers of machines. Autodesk is developing hosted and subscription based offerings that will eventually include their stalwart packages like Autocad and Inventor. While Google doesn't generate revenue directly from Android, Android use has allowed users to leverage Google mobile services which is what generates revenue for them. One difference I see though is that Android is a consortium including other big name players and at this point we don't know if Autodesk will go it alone or allow others to directly participate the same way Google does with Android with the Open Handset Alliance.
May 16, 2014 06:30AM
vegasloki
Currently there isn't a common API

Our common API is STL, G-code and the usage of command line tools. The latter allow easy integration into other softwares.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 16, 2014 07:40AM
I have a bit of experience with AD from the 3D graphics pov. I work for the main competitor of AD in Europe.
In this area AD frustrated a lot of customers by either buying up competitors (Softimage) and dropping the product, or by simply not doing any serious development for their own product (3dsmax) due to having a safe sales position.
Either way AD customers on the 3D DCC market are not very happy campers right now.
When it comes to standards AD used their market power to take over things like FBX, a very flexible 3D exchange format, and changed/extended it to their needs with disregard to other users.
I have to say though that that is a totally different division inside of AD, i wouldn't project their behavior 1:1 on 3D printing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2014 07:42AM by Srek.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
May 16, 2014 08:37AM
Srek
I have a bit of experience with AD from the 3D graphics pov. I work for the main competitor of AD in Europe.
In this area AD frustrated a lot of customers by either buying up competitors (Softimage) and dropping the product, or by simply not doing any serious development for their own product (3dsmax) due to having a safe sales position.
Either way AD customers on the 3D DCC market are not very happy campers right now.
When it comes to standards AD used their market power to take over things like FBX, a very flexible 3D exchange format, and changed/extended it to their needs with disregard to other users.
I have to say though that that is a totally different division inside of AD, i wouldn't project their behavior 1:1 on 3D printing.

So you work for Dassault Systemes?

smiling bouncing smiley Can I complain about solidworks to you? smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2014 08:38AM by Crewmember.
May 16, 2014 09:32AM
Do you use any Miltope products?

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
May 16, 2014 02:42PM
Crewmember

smiling bouncing smiley Can I complain about solidworks to you? smiling bouncing smiley
Nope i work for Maxon, a Nemetschek company. Nemteschek does ArchiCAD, Allplan and Vectorworks, the company i work for makes CINEMA 4D.
You can complain to me about any of them, but i will stick my fingers in my ears and sing while you do, after all i am here for private reasons, not for my employer winking smiley

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
May 18, 2014 09:46AM
Srek
Crewmember

Nope i work for Maxon, a Nemetschek company. Nemteschek does ArchiCAD, Allplan and Vectorworks, the company i work for makes CINEMA 4D.
You can complain to me about any of them, but i will stick my fingers in my ears and sing while you do, after all i am here for private reasons, not for my employer winking smiley

Haha, I was almost about to complain about Vectorworks winking smiley
Nice to see that besides developing Merlin, you also do some work that is connected with my academic study smiling smiley (Architectural/Spatial Design).

I'm curious about what AD is going to bring to 'us' with this platform.
May 18, 2014 09:05PM
The 3D printing arm of Autodesk may be a totally different division from the CAD one, you don't change the core identity of a company like that. So Autodesk getting any leverage in the 3D printing field is very bad news and I don't see how anyone else who knows even just a little about Autodesk's practices could believe otherwise.
May 19, 2014 02:07AM
Traumflug
vegasloki
Currently there isn't a common API

Our common API is STL, G-code and the usage of command line tools. The latter allow easy integration into other softwares.

Those aren't APIs. You know better than that. One is a file format, one is an interpreted machine control language and the other is a method of issuing commands to a computer. It's that sort of thinking and implementation that has led to where open source printer software is today. While it was great to get things rolling, the users have changed and the machines more mature and require a more cohesive solution. Like it or not it's moving toward a machine that is connected to the network that will be able to display, slice and fix models then print them. The software at this point is behind the capability of the machines and the UI and general usability leaves something to be desired considering the state of the machines. I'm not discounting or dismissing the software effort so far but it's time for the software to evolve to be able to exploit the features of the machine, better integration of the tool chain and a UI that non hacker/prgrammer types can use.
May 19, 2014 02:16AM
Ohmarinus
I'm curious about what AD is going to bring to 'us' with this platform.

Which "us"? Reprap is a slice of the DIY printer community let alone the user base of those that use printers. Your us isn't likely my us. What I got over the weekend was that Spark is geared toward printer manufacturers and not the hobby DIY crowd. I didn't think to ask him at the time if end users would be restricted from licensing. I doubt they would given that everything Autodesk has is available to students and schools at no cost. But the emphasis is going to be commercial manufacturers of new machines. I forgot where I read it but a study recently indicated that this fall pre built machines will overtake DIY with a rapid growth toward preassembled machines. Much of this is due to the machine being viewed as a means to an end rather than something done on its own for the sake of it. If successfully implemented it could help manufactures provide a more robust software solution, better UI and a more integrated envrionment than we currently have. That is the reason companies are going out on thier own with the software. They may not want to do FOSS software on their own but would use an available open platform and extend it to thier needs. Just like with Android.
May 19, 2014 02:22AM
NormandC
The 3D printing arm of Autodesk may be a totally different division from the CAD one, you don't change the core identity of a company like that. So Autodesk getting any leverage in the 3D printing field is very bad news and I don't see how anyone else who knows even just a little about Autodesk's practices could believe otherwise.

That assumes they are getting into building printers as a primary source of revenue. It was stated again over the weekend that the printer was a proof of concept that they want others to build on. They aren't interested in FDM/FFF and are focusing on SLA. The specfic areas they wish to concentrate on are material availability and use of different materials and the software platform. They are going to make money on design software. They aren't a hardware company and they know that but this is simialr to what Google did with the Nexus One to launch Android. They are focusing on applying open source methods to the manufacturing sector to enhance the available options for more versatile, robust technologies in an effort to sell more software and services. Though they didn't say it I see the end goal as something like Autodesk 360 where they can provide a variety of software as a service long or short termu sing the model of not making money on hardware but rather providing a platform and making money on the edges with services.
May 19, 2014 03:02PM
Now a for profit corporation exists only to generate profit, so when they are releasing something “free” realize they think at some level giving this away with generate more money than it will cost. The question is whos going to pay that cost.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2014 03:08PM by Doug1.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login