Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r 0.8.4 is Out Now!

Posted by Idolcrasher 
Slic3r 0.8.4 is Out Now!
June 26, 2012 10:43PM
Slic3r Homepage

Download Slic3r 0.8.4 now!

I have been following this project for a few months now, and I love the direction it is going!

If you are only using Skeinforge, you are missing out on a great tool.

Get up to the minute updates and contribute to the project on GitHub too!

Slic3r GitHub
Re: Slic3r 0.8.4 is Out Now!
June 28, 2012 10:57AM
The support material are no longer crosshatch which I am unsure about, but this looks promising.
June 28, 2012 12:56PM
Are there any good (pref.offline, no net at home) documentations on the Slic3r advanced parameters? I have found nothing useful. and don't understand just what the "extrusion widths" are and how they are used or just how they effect the print. The official online docs have a big blank for advanced settings. Also hope they fixed the bridging. It should never stop halfway across a bridge, back up to fill a space that does not exist, then go back to where it left off and start again in mid air. It did it on two different parts.
Thanx
Todd
June 28, 2012 01:01PM
tcoleman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also hope they fixed the bridging. It
> should never stop halfway across a bridge, back up
> to fill a space that does not exist, then go back
> to where it left off and start again in mid air.
> It did it on two different parts.
> Thanx
> Todd

I've never seen that happen. I'm guessing the STL's have errors in them.

Extrusion widths are just that - the widths of the laid down extrusions.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
June 28, 2012 01:20PM
Well as for the STL's Netfab really seemed to like them .Said they were just ducky. Will have to set up a simple test object. As for the extrusion widths ..... as a % of what? In an earlier post (different thread) I was told that a value less than 1.5 ( 150% I assume) would cause trouble but If I want a .4mm extrusion width (.35mm nozzle) I would set it at 100%. There must be something I'm missing it may be right in front of my face but the forest is thick, 2 months ago I didn't know these machines existed now I have one and some of the paradigm is new to me. The wording seems to assume some previous knowledge (a common thing when something has been around for a while) and it has changed from previous versions. Will have to experiment with V8.4 this weekend.
Thanx
Todd
June 28, 2012 01:35PM
The 1.5 ratio is extrusion width over layer height, below that layers tend not to stick well.
If it's set to 0 Slic3r will compute something, it's usually closer to 2.0.

Perhaps somewhat counter intuitively nozzle diameter does not directly affect extrusion width.
June 28, 2012 01:54PM
Yeah, what Polygonhell said. It is the width over layer height percentage. If your layer height is 0.2mm, and extrusion width is 200%, then it will lay down 0.4mm wide tracks. I usually just set it to 0 and let Slic3r determine the width, unless I need an exact width for thin walls or something.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
July 02, 2012 07:48AM
Excellent, that I understand. Did a test piece this weekend with several functions, outside size, inside size, diagonal size(square), bridging and a cone to a point. Bridging was amazingly perfect absolutely wonderful, the last one must have had a problem even NetFab didn't recognize. But inside dimensions are still way under sized almost 0.5mm or worse! The outside is fine and heights are fine. The insides (holes) are way under. I did a sliding dovetail lid on a box and the inside slot was almost 0.75 under. Outsides were +/- 0.1 depending on where it was measured. The sides are far from perfectly true. I want to blame the feed stock but don't know just how much one can blame the filament quality. It was obtained from a supplier on E-Bay that had some questionable reviews on this forum. No nozzle clogs but maybe dimensional quality. Though I do notice a difference in outside dim's based on internal structure. Like the outside is distinctly bigger with solid layers(top/bottom) than with filled layers. Another clue to filament quality is when I dissolve the ABS in acetone not all of it will go into solution. The stock is natural in color and the solution has white "floaties" and this after 2 weeks in the solvent. The following picture is embarrassing (looked better on the phone) but shows the enlargement at the base and the far from perfect sides. I did have one print with perfect sides but it was an accident. I accidentally called for a wall slightly less than 1mm thick and ended up with 2 walls 1 layer thick and a very slight gap between them. Perfectly straight and true... a thing of beauty, never to be seen since. Well I know it's a lot in a little post but I think some of these problems may be related/dependent on each other. Oh and the point didn't come out too bad for no cooling fan smiling smiley
Thank you all, your help has been invaluable.
Todd
Attachments:
open | download - TestBlock2.jpg (236 KB)
July 03, 2012 10:33PM
Ok, a major issue. Every time I tried the honeycomb support structure, the supports popped off the bed about 20 layers in. I tried this about 3 times and it happened every time. When I switched to rectlinear, the problem disappeared and now I have a successful print. Another thing that I want in the next version is the option to have crosshatch.

Update:
Slic3r is doing a lot of weird things that are ruining my prints like oozing out plastic in certain places enough to break my support structures.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2012 01:31AM by Zimtower.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login