Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

is ther a post processor that will let me import a 2d file

Posted by nobler 
is ther a post processor that will let me import a 2d file
May 26, 2014 03:23PM
looked at pronteface
slic3r

want to import a 2d hpgl dxf or other graphics software based program and export it to a h-bot corexy gantry system
am aware that its 'just' the marlin/sprinter post processor that utilises the h-bot gantry rather than a trad cartisian set up.

want a corexy / h - bot table to cut 2.5d / 2d

what are my options please

have bought a mega arduino and ramps 1.4 and the lcd - its in the post
after downloading the firmware/software realise I can't import files

have sheetcam and mach3

is there a way of adapting the sheetcam.tng post processos for mach3 plasma to re-hig co-ordination for h-bot/corexy

thanks
Re: is ther a post processor that will let me import a 2d file
May 26, 2014 03:50PM
This is a bit of a workaround, but you can import the 2D dxf into a program like OpenSCAD and extrude it into a 3D stl. There are several tutorials under "How do I convert a 2D image to a 3D file I can print?" in this thread.

Then open the stl in a slicer, and set the infill to 0, the perimeter to 1, top and bottom solid layers to 0, disable skirt and brim. These are settings for slic3r. Then export the gcode, which should just be a trace of the perimeter of the stl file, which is in fact your original 2D drawing. You might need to fiddle with scaling if the absolute dimensions are critical.

You can verify the gcode is doing what you want with a viewer like this one.
May 26, 2014 04:39PM
is this how the laser rep-rappers do it?

jusrt installed corel to export a dxf
it didn't work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2014 05:10PM by nobler.
May 26, 2014 06:02PM
nobler
is this how the laser rep-rappers do it?
I'm not sure. It seems like a number of people use cad.py. There are more options (including cad.py) described on this page: Plotting.

If you have sheetcam, can't you just use that to export the g-code? The reprap firmware isn't too picky about the origin of the g-code, so you should be able to use pronterface to send g-code created by sheetcam.
May 27, 2014 12:55AM
You could probably use makercam to generate the gcode. Try this: MakerCam

Watch a 5-minute tutorial on youtube and go to town.
May 27, 2014 05:32AM
A tad more info then.. what I want to actally do.

I want a small h bot corexy gantry system like this one

but I want it this size maybe a little smaller - it has to fit in my car - so I can take it to my pals workshop and use his compressor and plasma

basically want it to drag around a plasma torch - pilot arc this one.

want to use automotive standard belts HTD 4000 8M - 20 or 30mm thick like these
[datasheets.globalspec.com]

4000mm divided by 6 gives me the majic number about a 2 foot square h-bot

I can then use automotive one peice idler pulley gears 24 toothen like these

and then utilise automotive adjustable tensioner pulleys

or have three like that on the y and simply one to tension.

maybe simply not having the motors on the belt but driven with a spur - on each corner too, quad motor.

because I want to cut steel / stainless letters, must use corel draw, export dxf or hpgl.

need something post processor, similar to sheetcam that can out-put h-bot non cartisian co-ordinates, or need a sheetcam for mach3 patch that alters the co-ordinates.

-oh yes to the continuous belt @ 4000mm as its divisible by the tooth pitch of 8 easily and I can clock the 24 toothen gears so the gantry is quite square.

thanks, I am in a right pickle, need it light so I can carry it about and simply place it upon a sheet of steel over a large tray of water 'jacked up on bricks.

typically, i can do the nema 17 or 23, tb6560 drivers and usb breakout board for mach3, I have it all coming anyway, but I simply want the h-bot style gantry to keep it loow profile and light.

and storable - nailed up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2014 05:39AM by nobler.
May 27, 2014 11:36AM
nobler
need something post processor, similar to sheetcam that can out-put h-bot non cartisian co-ordinates, or need a sheetcam for mach3 patch that alters the co-ordinates.
Just to be clear, you don't need a post-processor. The g-code is independent of the robot geometry. That is, the same g-code will work whether you have a Cartesian, Delta, Polar, H-bot or whatever. For example, you might have a line of g-code that looks something like:
G1 X134.210 Y64.290 E3.25938
This tells the machine to move the tooltip and extruder motor a certain distance. The firmware controls how this command gets converted into motor distances. If you are using Marlin, you configure Marlin for H-bot kinematics and it does the rest. More info here and here.

This looks like a cool project, I hope you keep us updated.
May 27, 2014 12:01PM
Skeinforge has some 2d functions. It can't take dxf files, not sure on hpgl. Beyond that, you might want to look at how people generate gcode for milling pcbs.
May 27, 2014 01:48PM
Practical Machinist, Pirate 4 x 4 and Welding Web have a great deal of info and several with experience building DIY plasma tables. This is the first reprap based design I've seen. It's got great potential.
June 01, 2014 09:13AM
aha IT appears I am asking the wrong question, the simple question is.
can I put h-bot corexy firmware onto this
[ddcnc.com]
ddlmv1
would anyone care to try.
or dare

also while I am on........
is there anyway of hooking up a little lcd to that breakout board that says 'ready' - i.e. I am at zero.
also anyway of getting sheetcam and mach 3 into a corel draw x7 toolbar and simply clicking an icon,> checking the material / size i.e. 8mm steel at a3 420mm by 297mm
then press print or cut.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2014 09:17AM by nobler.
June 01, 2014 09:23AM
nobler : this might be something more suited to asking on www.cnczone.com

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login