Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Acetone (nail polish remover)

Posted by Zhangx 
Acetone (nail polish remover)
June 04, 2014 07:09PM
Hi,
I would like to start printing in abs, but so far have only had experience with pla.
I've seen some tips for abs include "abs juice" made from acetone and abs, and also would like to try some acetone vapour treatment in the future.
I was wondering whether it would be possible to use nail polish remover for these purposes or whether the other solutes in it hinder it's effectiveness / usability? I'd probably use something like boots essentials nail polish remover. Anyone had any experience with this.

Also are there any other general tops for abs printing?
Re: Acetone (nail polish remover)
June 04, 2014 08:14PM
Never tried it as Acetone from a hardware store is $4-9 for a 32oz can.
June 04, 2014 10:07PM
Nail polish remover does not work well or at all. It is diluted too much to be effective on ABS. But if you want to try put an inch in so of filamet in a container with some and see how long it takes to break down.
June 06, 2014 08:43AM
I am fairly new to printing, but I have had excellent luck with the purple elmers washable glue sticks for both PLA and ABS for adhesion. Haven't yet tried "ABS juice" as I haven't needed to yet. A few parts have benefitted from a brim on the smaller areas to get good adhesion to the bed. I have also not tried painters tape, Kapton tape, or hairspray, but that will be next if I start having issues with the glue stick. Aside from that, I've had good luck with ABS so far.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login