Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

trying to build our 3D printer in Syria

Posted by tarek437248 
trying to build our 3D printer in Syria
June 07, 2014 06:28PM
hello everyone
I'm a student at Albaath University in Homs city, Syria
Here education is very bad, so two of my best friends and me with a corporation with of the best professor here decide to start our graduate project from now "we are still in the 3rd year and we have two more years"
and our project will be a 3D printer, I know it's available all over the world and will not be a new project, but here in Syria no one know the 3D printers or ever seen one, and we want to study it from zero to top "without any help or copying from other 3D printers", and we want to make one as cheap as possible so people here can see it and maybe buy one "In Syria 200$ is too expensive".

But I have few questions : will this project will help me in the future to leave Syria and maybe go and work in Europe ?
And can you give me what do you think about the idea in general and maybe give us some advices?

The professor that will work with us is graduated from France and he's really super great and a great man and prof, and we're working too hard during two and half year on this project and for us it will be the only real thing in the hole university because every thing here is bad from the war until the hole university , so we only have this chance to became a real engineering in Syria "when majority of students graduate without knowing the principles of engineering, but we will learn every thing that we need to build our printer.
Sorry if I write to much
Anonymous User
Re: trying to build our 3D printer in Syria
June 07, 2014 08:25PM
Good luck with the project. This forum has a lot of good core hard working guys here that can help you. Maybe you can bring us up to date on your current progress.
June 07, 2014 08:49PM
well we've just buy one and we're going to figure it and learn about every thing in it and we still 3rd year students so in the remaining two year we are going to learning a lot about motors controlling and programming and chose the main material and supporting material and all what we will need.
we will start within a month "until we finish our final year exams", we will work hard during the summer and the 4th year and the 5th year.
And sure I will still posting here in the form because I really like it from the first, I mean the idea about shearing information and problems, that's what we really need in our project because no one here else in Syria to help us "we're in war time" so we have each other and the internet.
June 07, 2014 08:58PM
There are many examples of people making makeshift 3D printers out of whatever materials they can find. Maybe this information is useful to you if you don't have access to sophisticated kits or hardware. Here are a few links that might be of use:

List of RepStraps: A RepStrap is a 3D printer cobbled together from whatever parts you can find

3D printer on Instructables made out of old DVD drives

Wafate 3D printer made from (mostly) recycled computer waste

The Developer Bookshelf page on the Wiki has a lot of archived information that chronicles the early history of RepRap. You can see a lot of the different designs the early developers tried out, before people were selling kits.
June 08, 2014 01:17AM
really thanks MattMoses I guess that the pdf books at DeveloperBookshelf are totally amazing and helpful.
And about the other links it's nice to read about people like that, and give us inspiration but in fact we have real material that we will use like step motors and all other stuff so I guess that we will not need to use simple stuff to create it "hope that =D "
And about the list it's so useful and sure we will use it smiling smiley
Thanks a lot to share this information with us.
Tarek
Anonymous User
June 08, 2014 01:35AM
The best material you can use for a cheap frame is wood board. If you can mount your step motors to the wood board and build up a support around it, it will build itself.
June 08, 2014 01:43AM
goldenmongoose yes we can use MDF maybe smiling smiley
Anonymous User
June 08, 2014 01:49AM
OK. Do you have a drill?
June 08, 2014 01:57AM
goldenmongoose yes sure
we have the access to all the university labs
we have also CNC machines and every thing we need smiling smiley
June 08, 2014 01:59AM
But we don't have the technical support and any thing in real to start from
so we must start from the zero here in Syria, no previous experiences or any thing related for 3D printer
so we're looking for all ideas
Anonymous User
June 08, 2014 02:22AM
Tarek, CNC is not important right now. you will only need basic tools like a saw, drill, screw driver, things like that.
June 08, 2014 02:43AM
yes yes I know that goldenmongoose
but I was giving an example that we have what we need and good stuff smiling smiley
Anonymous User
June 08, 2014 03:06AM
OK, if you have a drill and drill bits, make 5 holes in a MDF board:

4-3mm
1-5mm center
June 08, 2014 06:18AM
tarek437248
we want to study it from zero to top "without any help or copying from other 3D printers"

Uhm, what's the point of this? The whole point of RepRap is to collaborate, which means copying and contributing incremental improvements.

That said, with more than 500 variations of printer frames already designed, it starts to become difficult to find a design which is not yet done.

The WolfStrap is a design very affordable, easy to make and serving well as a starting point. The only things you can't get at a hardware store or salvage from the scrapyard is electronics and stepper motors. Gen7 Electronics is designed to be made DIY, so you can get to the minimum there, too.

This done, you likely need a device to make printing filament from scrap plastics. The Lyman Extruder looks reasonable here.

tarek437248
will this project will help me in the future to leave Syria and maybe go and work in Europe ?

Perhaps not, but it'll definitely bring technology forward in your own area.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 08, 2014 12:17PM
goldenmongoose really thanks smiling smiley
June 08, 2014 12:26PM
Traumflug well I mean without copying any thing, because we must understand what we're doing, you don't know about Syrian student or educational facilities people here living on copying stuff without any kind of knowledge about what they do, so we're trying as much as we could to make something special sure it will be the same as in the world but not copying, for example we will try to make our own computer program for the 3D printer and make our imprint in the project that reflex our effort.
And about the Lyman Extruder I guess it's amazing we will see for sure smiling smiley

And about the European stuff I was thinking that this project will allow me to get a scholarship to study Master at Europe or any other place, I just want to leave Syria and the situation here :\
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login