Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thoughts on discov3ry paste extruder?

Posted by 750magna 
Thoughts on discov3ry paste extruder?
June 23, 2014 11:52PM
The idea of a reliable paste extruder seems like it would be a great addition to my 3D printer, and one of the latest offerings from Structur3D looks quite clean and professional. Unfortunately, while they've put together a nice video, they don't want to go into much detail of how their extruder actually works. From what they've shown, they use a 60cc syringe and magic to create a plug and play paste extruder that will hook up to almost any reprap. Has anyone seen this system in real life who'd be willing to share their thoughts on the quality and reliability of this system. For all the media coverage they've received, no one seems to have been able to give a hands on review of the product, or at least do a technical Q&A with the founders. If anyone out there is getting good results with a paste extrusion system please let me know.

Thanks
Re: Thoughts on discov3ry paste extruder?
June 24, 2014 04:50PM
Hey there,

I understand the concern. We are being a bit vague about "what's in the box".

We don't really like doing so, but at the same time we’ve spent cumulatively over a year working on this product. So we feel the need to protect our investment, at least in the short term.

As we move forward, further developing our product and building up a community of makers using our products, we fully intend to open source the initial design.

We're also trying to open up a little bit more, now that the initial media push has quieted down.

We recently published a thorough video tutorial and walk through about the setup process, which gives a better sense of how the whole thing works.
A previous post also discussed the software we use for our prints

As soon as we begin shipping our first units, we'll put one in the hands of Matt Stultz of makezine who we've been in touch with. We'll also be at the Detroit and NYC Maker Faire's for anyone who'd like to stop by and say Hi.

-
John
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login