Advanced

Maintaining a Heated Build Platform at 37C

Posted by Kyle R 
Maintaining a Heated Build Platform at 37C
June 22, 2014 03:50PM
Hi Reprappers!

I am building a Kossel Mini and purchased the following Kapton heater:

[www.ultibots.com]

Instead of the normal heat associated with printing in ABS, I would like to maintain my borosilicate glass temperature at 37C (~100F). Where would I start, what would I have to change in Marlin, etc?

Thank you!
Re: Maintaining a Heated Build Platform at 37C
June 22, 2014 04:06PM
Also, I have a 12V power supply, and the heater is 24V. Since I have a relatively small temperature requirement, I thought this might be a good choice. I would love any thoughts regarding this as well. Thank you everyone!
June 22, 2014 04:12PM
I think your prints will fail abyssmally with warping. Why 37°C ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2014 04:12PM by Ralph.Hilton.
June 22, 2014 04:15PM
Hi Ralph.Hilton,

I am not printing with plastics, I am printing with several materials that will require the slightly elevated temperature. Any ideas on how to achieve this end?

Thanks!
June 22, 2014 06:37PM
refer to the reprap gcode list http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code code of interest are M109 and M190

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

July 17, 2014 02:28PM
There are no changes necessary as far as I am aware, you just need to set the bed temp to 37C instead of the usual ~100C.

Through self sustaining actions comes freedom

DIY Tech Shop
July 17, 2014 02:33PM
As DIYT.S. said, firmware requires no change. Simply change your slicer settings to the new profile. I personally have 2-3 profiles per material, due to different vendors/uses.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
July 18, 2014 07:00AM
Interesting project :-).
your heatbed is a kapton device so you may need some glass or alubed to stabilize mechanically and get some mass.
i understand you want to use 12v on your heatbed to obtain 37C? That would probably be ok but you may have a challenge to obtain a good regulation for accurate temperature.
You need to switch your firmware with PID regulation in configuration.h and make some calibration by using M303 G-commands manually in Repetier Host or similar.
Read this : [reprap.org]
You may set temperature by "M140 S37" command or/and use the above mentioned "M190 S37".
Good luck
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login