Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cartridge Heater Question.

Posted by Rooski 
Cartridge Heater Question.
July 21, 2014 06:34PM
I just got my new E3dv6 Hotend (yay), and it uses a 12v 40W cartridge heater, im running Non-deluxe gen6 electronics. im wondering if itll work or if ill run into issues. because the gen6 uses a 12v 4.7 ohm resistor.

idk , i dont want to fry anything.
Re: Cartridge Heater Question.
July 21, 2014 07:30PM
Hey, for me (Ramps 1.4) it didn't make a difference, but you might want to tune your power output to the cartridge a bit, they overshoot easily and also last a bit longer if you don't put them on full power until heated to the desired temp. It will go fast anyway.

Heater cartridges work way better in many terms, you'll be happy with it smiling smiley first of all the wires are already connected, so it's basically plug & play. The heating is much quicker, they are made for it! And they can be fastened better, with a set screw, where the resistors would break when attempting to tighten them on with a set screw.

I am using a Ramps 1.4 so I'm not sure about your electronics, but there have been some topics about this same issue already, as here:
[forums.reprap.org]

and here:
[forums.reprap.org]

In the last post it says:
"The PWM controller is not designed for a ceramic output capacitor."
[forums.reprap.org]

So I'm not completely sure...

I hope these topics give you some more to read about.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
July 21, 2014 07:42PM
Thanks , after some more digging it does seem like it should work aslong as i update all the temp tables in firmware. and about the oscillating yeah my motors do whine alot, he mentioned attaching a small capacitor in parallel to ... any ideas ?
July 21, 2014 08:13PM
Rooski
Thanks , after some more digging it does seem like it should work aslong as i update all the temp tables in firmware. and about the oscillating yeah my motors do whine alot, he mentioned attaching a small capacitor in parallel to ... any ideas ?

Yes I do, you have A4988's?

These guys have added a trimpot instead of a resistor:
[reprap.org]

I have those drivers, and they are great. But essentially it is just a trimpot added instead of a resistor.

For my new printer I just got the normal A4988's and I am also going to solder on a resistor very carefully to make it run better.
I was in the process of finding out how exactly this is done.

These links might give some info:
[hydraraptor.blogspot.nl]
[groups.google.com]

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
July 21, 2014 09:14PM
In the E3D assembly instructions it is recommended that you run an autotune using M303.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login