Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

a support material here feature.

Posted by Miertam 
a support material here feature.
August 16, 2014 03:41AM
I have been playing with my new printer for a week or so. One of the things that is driving me insane is that on some of my prints to get a print at all I have to turn support up to max which ends up in a almost solid block of plastic. That of course destroys the fine detail. if I turn it down it collapses and ends up as a mass of strings. What I would like is the ability to tell the slicer print support material here but not over here. Is there any Slicer software that could do that?

Thanks Mike
Re: a support material here feature.
August 16, 2014 05:33PM
I recently purchased (yes it's not free) Simplify3D. It can generate support to your specs then you can select sections of the support and delete them so you do have at least some control over where support is. Here is a video on the program [www.youtube.com] if you go to around 11 minutes in he shows support how to.

None of the free stuff that I know of has this ability.
August 16, 2014 07:33PM
for some reason i thought slic3r also had this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2014 07:33PM by jamesdanielv.
August 16, 2014 07:37PM
Slic3r had improved supports, I don't remember hearing anything about customizable supports. I also use Simplify3D, it's quite nice as a slicer, although not infinite. It won't handle thin walled parts/items. The standard .5mm calibration box ends up with nothing.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
August 16, 2014 10:49PM
MrDoctorDIV
Slic3r had improved supports, I don't remember hearing anything about customizable supports. I also use Simplify3D, it's quite nice as a slicer, although not infinite. It won't handle thin walled parts/items. The standard .5mm calibration box ends up with nothing.

Hmmm? I've had no such problem with Simplify3D.

One of my test parts (when changing filament or nozzle) easily makes a .36mm wall (2 perimeters and a .15mm nozzle).
August 17, 2014 06:43PM
Awesome just what I was looking for..I will have to pick it up next pay period but it's now on my to buy list.

Thanks Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login