Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder calibration

Posted by epareja 
Extruder calibration
July 03, 2012 04:42PM
Hello,

I build my prusa v2 with this Hot End.

I calibrated the extruder motor in my Marlin and RAMPS electronics to move the filament exactly 100mm when I ordered so. I did that calibration test without the hotend installed.

I would like to know if I have to do that test with the hot end installed?

The thing is that if I use Skeinforge 41 for slicing the part the extruder goes very fast and eats the fillament (ABS).

I could print a normal quality pieces using Slic3r 0.8.4 because the extruder goes a little slower than skeinforge but the temperature of the extruder is 245 and not 200 or 210 as many people suggested.

Thank you

Ernesto Pareja

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
Re: Extruder calibration
July 03, 2012 05:46PM
I would recommend calibrating the extruder with everything installed, at temperature and feeding filiment. start at a low feed rate of about 30mm/min.

However, In my opinion that hot end won't hold up. When you heat it up the PTFE will soften under the heat and when you feed material into the lower section the force will pull the threads out of the PTFE. It might not happen as much on PLA, and might not happen right off, but it will pull out. You learn more from failure then success.
July 03, 2012 08:57PM
I would think the only thing that would affect the steps per mm for the extruder while the hot end is attached would be that the extruder motor is missing steps or the hobbed bolt is stripping. Neither of those situations is GOOD, mind you, but fixing those doesn't involve the steps per mm and instead involve motor current and temperature.
July 04, 2012 02:37PM
I had to raise hot end temperature for the ABS to flow easier but I will have to continue working on this because in 100mm it actually extruded 80mm.

Thank you!

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login