Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Selling reprap kit questions

Posted by 3Der 
Selling reprap kit questions
July 04, 2012 01:17PM
Hello all,
I have a few questions about selling reprap kits.
What plastic is more desirable abs or pla?
How much do you charge for a set?
What model do people most like?
Where do I get the files to print the kits?
How long does it take to print a full set on a single 3d printer?
What is the best filament option as far as quality/price ratio?
What color do people want?
Any other tips for selling reprap kits?
Thanks.
Re: Selling reprap kit questions
July 04, 2012 05:46PM
>3Der Wrote:
> Any other tips for selling reprap kits?

Don't sell kits until you have at least 6 months building/printing experience.
July 04, 2012 06:25PM
billyzelsnack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't sell kits until you have at least 6 months
> building/printing experience.

Good advice. You'll get into trouble selling kits for something that you know nothing about.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
July 04, 2012 09:03PM
Thanks guys,
but can anybody answer these questions. I would not consider myself a complete novice, I know a fair amount about the concept of 3d printing and I have been studying the different methods SLA, PP, SLS, ect. I have been following the whole 3d printer craze the last couple of years and I find it fascinating.I just am not very familiar with this subset of DIY reprap machines. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2012 09:08PM by 3Der.
July 04, 2012 10:26PM
If you want 'practice' by making parts. if they are 'high quality', keep them and once you have a bunch of 'sets', do a quick test market by selling them (with your bundled instructions) on eBay or similar. ... Or donate them to a 'maker group' to do a build for a library or school. ... Just a thought.
July 04, 2012 11:54PM
In New Zealand I have sold about 40 sets of Prusa plastics. Prusa is the easiest kit as it's fairly simple most parts are available locally over the counter although not all.

I have used PLA and my own machines are all PLA and so far have had no problems

Have also sold about 8 full Prusa kits, only one has been back and that was because the client couldn't get printrun to work on WIndows Vista

Price is around NZ$100 for a set of Prusa plastic parts and NZ$1100-1200 for a complete kit with J head nozzle and Sanguino electronics

July 05, 2012 12:09AM
You should only sell kits with an engineering mindset and a passion for quality, not $. Once you are confident with your own parts, you can start coming up with a business model.
July 05, 2012 09:56AM
Just to make it clear I am very passionate about 3d printing I think it's the coolest thing ever. I am spending money for a 3D printer soon, because I am in love with thingiverse and the whole community of DIYers and basically how one can print up anything he wants, from a dishwasher knob to a little octopus figure with this amazing machine. But I am only going to sell the kits to justify all the money I spent on the 3D printer, thanks. And if it goes well, I may sell a kit every once in a while. But, I am by no means doing it solely for a profit. Thanks everyone for the help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login