Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Hotend for K8200/3DRag

Posted by EddyMI3d 
New Hotend for K8200/3DRag
September 22, 2014 03:16PM
Hello there!

Since it seems not possible to get a 0.3mm nozzel for the K8200,
I'm thinking about a new hotend with a 0.3mm (maybe 0.25mm or 0.35mm) nozzle.
I've heard about E3D, Budaschnozzle and others.
Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks for info,

Eddy

Live long and prosper
Re: New Hotend for K8200/3DRag
October 09, 2014 05:35PM
I would recommend either E3D or J-head.

J-head is a common "standard" hotend. It uses a plastic thermal break, which means that it is light, small, and works well with PLA. It has a PTFE liner which reduces friction, making it generally easier to extrude through it. The downside is that the plastic is only rated to around 250C, which means one can really only print PLA. There's also the danger of overheating and melting the hotend. You can get a genuine J-head for around $60. (Don't get a clone, they tend to be low quality.)

The E3D is all metal, with a stainless steel thermal break and aluminum heatsink. The E3D is larger and heavier than the J-head, since it requires a large aluminum heatsink as well as a fan to cool it (the fan comes with the hotend). The benefit from the E3D is that it can reach much higher temperatures. One can print virtually any material which is used with RepRaps, including PLA, ABS, polycarbonate (PC), nylon, and those exotic filaments like Laywood. The E3D will have more friction because it uses metal instead of plastic (though the v6 1.75mm has a PTFE liner which should help that), but with some tuning it can be made to extrude as well as a J-head. You can get an E3D for about $80.

In RepRap Magazine, Issue 3, RichRap reviews both hotends. He concludes by saying that for PLA, he would recommend the E3D for a cartesian bot, and the J-head for a delta. So, unless you have a delta using PLA, I would go with the E3D.

(Note: RichRap reviewed the E3D v5, and the v6 is now out. It is smaller and lighter, as well as better with PLA. So, take that into account.)
October 09, 2014 06:06PM
The e3d 6 is nice, It has a separate metal heatbreak and in fact you can replace any part of it in isolation. They sell the bits separately.

J head I'm starting to believe is best for pla.

I've also got a hexagon which made lovely prints. It is also all metal, but not as componentised as the e3d
October 10, 2014 03:27AM
Thanks a lot to your recommendations to both of you

I will have a look on those you mentioned.

October 10, 2014 07:01AM
[www.thingiverse.com] may be of interest.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login