Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

local store cut wood everywhere ?

Posted by smartfriendz 
local store cut wood everywhere ?
October 28, 2014 05:06AM
Hello,

Working on a new project, i was wondering if , as i suppose, there is everywhere in the world a local store where we can ask to cut wood and get some nice square and precise pieces ?

I ask here , as i know reprapers are located a little of everywhere on our nice planet smiling smiley

If you feel like, just tell here if i'm right or if it doesn't exist in your country , or too far to be practical .

thank you

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
Re: local store cut wood everywhere ?
October 28, 2014 06:23AM
I suppose you already know that all the GSB ("Grandes Surfaces de Bricolage", translating approximatively into "DIY supermarkets") in France offer that service.

I've read in those forums somewhere that nophead is also assuming this service is available for the building of his Mendel90 - people are supposed to buy the frame sheets already square-cut.
This means that this service is also widely available in GB.

This also means he probably have had returns from Mendel90 builders about the worldwide availability of that cutting service.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
October 28, 2014 06:28AM
haaa. thank you deuxvis,

I admit i've missed this part of the mendel90 project (sorry nopheadsmiling smiley . I have exactly this same idea .. I will look for informations there.

thanks

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
October 28, 2014 07:33AM
On many (if not most afaik) larger non-budget lumber yards in norway they will precision cut for you, sometimes for free, sometimes for a negligible fee and sometimes if they are busy you might get to use the saw yourself.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
October 28, 2014 09:00AM
Around here most lumber yard will do basic cuts but I don't know if you'd call it "precision". And it would just be simple cuts, square cuts on sheet material, possibly angled on dimensional lumber. In other words, no complex shapes. Check with sign shops if you need complex shapes as they likely would have a CNC router or laser cutter if you need complex shapes. If they don't, they likely could tell you who does in your area.
October 28, 2014 09:04AM
Thank you very much smiling smiley

no..no complex shapes. just squares ..well , parallelepipeds smiling smiley simple wood..or whatever exotic nice wood people like..that's the purpose . ( metal would work too i guess, but here in France we get only wood, basically).

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login