Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Really Fast Heating of the Nozzle...?

Posted by vulcanrd 
Really Fast Heating of the Nozzle...?
July 07, 2012 12:30AM
I have been experimenting with a heater cartridge to heat up my nozzle and I have noticed that it heats up REALLY fast. It will overshoot my target temperature by 30+ degrees and then eventually settle back down and be constant. While it is awesome that the heater cartridge can generate that much heat that quickly, my thermistor doesn't seem to react quickly enough. Is there a setting in the firmware to adjust the amount of times per second that a reading is taken with the thermistor?
Re: Really Fast Heating of the Nozzle...?
July 07, 2012 02:16AM
Hmmm...

Need to know which firmware specifically, but yes, there should be adjustments in the firmware/EPROM settings that allow you to tune the PID, assuming you have PID heater control turned on.

Here's how PID controls work.
July 08, 2012 07:25PM
As was said, check out PID control, depending on which firmware you are using.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
July 09, 2012 01:34AM
I don't think the question was about PID tuning, it was about increasing the frequency of temperature measurements. Can that be done?
July 09, 2012 04:45AM
If it heats too fast for the thermistor to respond then reading it more often won't help much but tuning the PID will.

In Marlin's configuration.h it has this:

#define PID_dT ((16.0 * 8.0)/(F_CPU / 64.0 / 256.0)) //sampling period of the

so possibly it can be changed but that will also affect the weight of the Ki and Kd terms.

There is also a PID_MAX setting to limit the current, which would allow it to heat slower.

I would give the Marlin autotune a try before changing anything else.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login