Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OctoPrint Alternative

Posted by quillford 
OctoPrint Alternative
September 06, 2014 01:02PM
I currently use OctoPrint, but was wondering if there is something else that I can try. It works well on desktop, but on my iPad and phone it is somewhat unresponsive. I already know about Print to peer and Astroprint, but they are not out yet.
Re: OctoPrint Alternative
November 08, 2014 01:57PM
Hi there,

I just wanted to let you know that AstroPrint is now live at [www.astroprint.com]. You can create a free account and go to the Downloads page to get your RPi image.

We'd love to have you try it and let us know what you think.
November 08, 2014 03:05PM
arroyo
Hi there,

I just wanted to let you know that AstroPrint is now live at [www.astroprint.com]. You can create a free account and go to the Downloads page to get your RPi image.

We'd love to have you try it and let us know what you think.
It has a much better mobile UI than OctoPrint, but I find OctoPrint much more developer friendly. I will be sticking with OctoPrint for the time being. AstroPrint seems more targeted for the average consumer not a reprapper.
November 08, 2014 03:42PM
You are absolutely right, we are going for simplicity to bring 3D Printing to the people that are less technical. However we would like to add some advanced features that would make it appealing for this community. I would love to hear what you think is missing.

Thanks in advance!
November 08, 2014 03:52PM
arroyo
You are absolutely right, we are going for simplicity to bring 3D Printing to the people that are less technical. However we would like to add some advanced features that would make it appealing for this community. I would love to hear what you think is missing.

Thanks in advance!
The slicers you have built in, Cura and Slic3r, are already the best in my opinion. I recommend you stick with those instead of taking time to make your own. I just can't see how AstroPrint, a piece of software, is making 3D printing any easier if the printers themselves (hardware) need a lot of tinkering and time. Your product would make more sense if the printers were plug and play. If you want to entice RepRappers, introduce an API or plugin system - something that developers can play with. I like OctoPrint because I have the freedom to make a plugin and improve the software.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2014 03:52PM by quillford.
November 08, 2014 04:17PM
Got it ! we'll be adding some customization options in the future but it does sound that the reprap community is best served by OctoPrint.

I do feel that there are plenty of people that can ( and like ) to tinker with hardware but can't stand (or don't understand) software.

Thanks for your help!
November 08, 2014 11:26PM
quillford
I currently use OctoPrint, but was wondering if there is something else that I can try. It works well on desktop, but on my iPad and phone it is somewhat unresponsive. I already know about Print to peer and Astroprint, but they are not out yet.

Mobile development for open Octoprint like apps is taking place on Android where the environment isn't as locked down and more open source developer friendly than iOS in terms of getting the app published. On my local network Octoprint is fairly responsive on an iPad mini, iOS 7 but the UI on a small screen isn't optimum and it's known to crash Safari. Octodroid is is an Android app in beta that looks promising but that's not going to iPad or iPhone users much good. More development is going toward small screen UI for use locally with the Pi like webfront and OctoPiPanel. Those interfaces may port over well to a mobile device but aren't aimed at this point to mobile devices.

Another open RPi/web based platform is XYZ Bots Reprrap Web. I haven't used it. [xyzbots.com]
November 08, 2014 11:39PM
vegasloki
quillford

Mobile development for open Octoprint like apps is taking place on Android where the environment isn't as locked down and more open source developer friendly than iOS in terms of getting the app published. On my local network Octoprint is fairly responsive on an iPad mini, iOS 7 but the UI on a small screen isn't optimum and it's known to crash Safari. Octodroid is is an Android app in beta that looks promising but that's not going to iPad or iPhone users much good. More development is going toward small screen UI for use locally with the Pi like webfront and OctoPiPanel. Those interfaces may port over well to a mobile device but aren't aimed at this point to mobile devices.

Another open RPi/web based platform is XYZ Bots Reprrap Web. I haven't used it. [xyzbots.com]
Interesting. I have been planning to switch to the OnePlus One. I have been prototyping an android wear app for voice controls for octoprint. How do I join the OctoDroid beta?
November 10, 2014 03:36PM
There is a Google + group but the software is in the Play store. He also posts updates to the Octoprint Google + group.
November 10, 2014 05:52PM
vegasloki
There is a Google + group but the software is in the Play store. He also posts updates to the Octoprint Google + group.
Can you link it? The only one I found is a GitHub client
November 11, 2014 03:29PM
I have given AstroPrint a try and I do like where it is headed. At the moment I do not find the split between local UI and the website based UI to be very friendly when I am working remotely. I still have to remote into a PC on my network to use the local UI or have my girlfriend start the print for me. Also maybe an expert settings panel for the cloud slicers as well as streaming webcams(if the pi can do it and not compromise the printing.) I did not do the KS(did not know about it) so none of this is demands btw, just my feedback. Thanks for giving us a Pi image to play with.

Disclaimer: I do not print when no one is home to deal with issues that may arise.

On to OP,

As for other alternatives the only one that I know about besides Astroprint is PrintToPeer.
November 11, 2014 08:38PM
zerodameaon
I have given AstroPrint a try and I do like where it is headed. At the moment I do not find the split between local UI and the website based UI to be very friendly when I am working remotely. I still have to remote into a PC on my network to use the local UI or have my girlfriend start the print for me. Also maybe an expert settings panel for the cloud slicers as well as streaming webcams(if the pi can do it and not compromise the printing.) I did not do the KS(did not know about it) so none of this is demands btw, just my feedback. Thanks for giving us a Pi image to play with.

Disclaimer: I do not print when no one is home to deal with issues that may arise.

On to OP,

As for other alternatives the only one that I know about besides Astroprint is PrintToPeer.
PrintToPeer seems like it is headed in the right direction. They have an SDK for developers, and a nice UI.
November 11, 2014 10:57PM
Thanks for trying AstroPrint out. We're looking for feedback and reading about what you guys are talking about here is really helpful for us to focus our efforts. We're definitely looking into allowing users to start a print from the web and doing more development on the streaming video part to ensure that prints won't be compromised. Also advanced settings is getting really close to being released.

Thanks again guys. Any more feedback or letting us know what's frustrated about our current experience is much appreciated.
November 11, 2014 11:47PM
quillford

Octoprint Google Plus

[plus.google.com]

Octodroid Google Plus

[plus.google.com]
November 11, 2014 11:48PM
vegasloki
quillford

Octoprint Google Plus

[plus.google.com]

Octodroid Google Plus

[plus.google.com]
Thanks, but someone already personal messaged it to me.
November 14, 2014 04:59PM
arroyo
Thanks for trying AstroPrint out. We're looking for feedback and reading about what you guys are talking about here is really helpful for us to focus our efforts. We're definitely looking into allowing users to start a print from the web and doing more development on the streaming video part to ensure that prints won't be compromised. Also advanced settings is getting really close to being released.

Thanks again guys. Any more feedback or letting us know what's frustrated about our current experience is much appreciated.

I won't go as far as to say frustrated, something we need to understand is your product is still evolving. I look forward to your updates.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login