Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap World Map

Posted by Andromodon 
RepRap World Map
July 10, 2008 01:39AM
How does one get their my name and location put on the RepRap world map?

[maps.google.com]

This map is linked to by the main reprap page, [reprap.org].
Re: RepRap World Map
July 10, 2008 01:45AM
As another question, how does one remove a "pin" from the RepRap world map? It looks like someone spammed Minneapolis, MN, USA by putting a pin for a business instead, "Timeout Restaurant & Sports".
July 10, 2008 07:51AM
Looks like anyone can remove a pin. I clicked on the "Edit" button at the top of the name list, selected the "Timeout Restaurant and Sports" pin and in the pop-up information box on the map clicked on the "delete" link.

I don't know if I'm SUPPOSED to be able to do that.

Andromodon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As another question, how does one remove a "pin"
> from the RepRap world map? It looks like someone
> spammed Minneapolis, MN, USA by putting a pin for
> a business instead, "Timeout Restaurant & Sports".
Joshua Merchant
July 19, 2008 02:52AM
JohnWasser Wrote:
> Looks like anyone can remove a pin. I clicked on
> the "Edit" button at the top of the name list,
> selected the "Timeout Restaurant and Sports" pin
> and in the pop-up information box on the map
> clicked on the "delete" link.
>
> I don't know if I'm SUPPOSED to be able to do
> that.
>

Google allows you to do that as a default option because it's an open collaboration map, and you have to be logged in to press the Edit button. So Google knows who spammed that advertisement. Google knows their account. Google knows their IP. Google knows what they search for. Google knows... yes, Google knows....

Also, since Google supposedly has crazy amounts of logs (and is capable of storing them because they have such an extensive amount of storage space, as evidenced by Gmail), they can probably revert (or allow users to revert) changes like deletions (think Wikipedia edits).

Then again, maybe they just expect that anyone that bored and that malicious will do something less obscure and trivial (no offense)...

If something like a computerized attack was used against a number of different such maps, then Google could look at the IP used and track it back to an ISP, who could then identify the individual in real life, who could then be sued and/or arrested.
July 20, 2008 07:46PM
... I STILL don't know how to put my name/address on the RepRap Map. sad smiley
July 20, 2008 11:09PM
Andromodon Wrote:
> ... I STILL don't know how to put my name/address
> on the RepRap Map. sad smiley

Click on the "Edit" button just above the description of the map.

Navigate to your location on the map.

Right click (ctrl click on a Mac) on the map and select "Add a placemark" from the pop-up menu.

In the "Title" edit box put your identifying information, usually your name or RepRap Forums username. In the "Description" edit box put whatever descriptive information you want. Then click the OK button.

Click on the "Done" button near where the "Edit" button used to be.

That's it.
February 21, 2010 01:05PM
It would be very cool if ppl stop moving other ppl placemarks on that map sad smiley but it's obviously too much to ask for sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login