Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to secure brass bushing in moving part

Posted by jtoombs 
How to secure brass bushing in moving part
November 18, 2014 01:07AM
Hi everyone. I have a question about brass bushings. I haven't seen many people use them for one. Why is this? Also, for the people that have used them on their smooth rods instead of the usual LM8UU's how are they secured in the moving axis? I am thinking about replacing my LM8UU's because they are getting noisy.

Thanks.
Re: How to secure brass bushing in moving part
November 18, 2014 02:30AM
I have never used LM8's even though I have a supply of them. I have graphite impregnated nylon bushes on my axes' which are obviously silent in operation. To fit them, I printed some split bushes to fit the bearing clamps of the X ends, extruder carriage etc into which are fitted the nylon bushes. The size of your brass bushings O.D. will determine what size "carriers" to print if you decide to go that route although its only the inner diameter of the printed bush which you need to determine (outer diameter is LM8UU size)

November 18, 2014 11:00AM
That's a pretty good idea. I hadn't thought of just treating it like a linear bearing. I could just make holes for zip ties to go around it in my part. Thanks waitaki. Has anyone used the same technique as is used to secure the small gear to the extruder motor (grub/set screw) on the greg's extruder?
November 18, 2014 02:20PM
I did just what Waitaki said. Printed holders for the bushing (press fit mine) then zip tied them to the carrier. Never had a probelm.
November 19, 2014 02:10AM
Nylon, as waitaki said, and brass are two types. What are some other types of bushings used that don't require a lot of maintenance and are low cost?

Thanks
November 19, 2014 08:34PM
PLA bearings - I've used these also and they work good. These are for 8mm shafts. Find them here...

[www.thingiverse.com]

They should be fairly tight on the shaft initially, but run them up and down half a dozen times before fitting and they'll be perfect. NOT sure about using them on the X carriage, though they are prob OK if the hot-end is fan cooled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2014 08:37PM by waitaki.

November 22, 2014 12:16PM
Has anyone ever used the selfgraphite bushings from robotdigg? Bushing
November 22, 2014 12:41PM
jtoombs
Has anyone ever used the selfgraphite bushings from robotdigg? Bushing

Hey, not yet, but I am still doubting to buy them. It seems like a good future drop-in replacement for my LM8UU's. just printed a bushing holder that can fill up the space in between the LM8UU holder and the bronze bushing so might as well put in those selfgraphite bushings.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
November 22, 2014 01:30PM
I am curious. Do you guys even grease the rods? I have close to 200 hours on my delta. The rods and bearings run like new. I greased them twice since I put it together. I am using synthetic high temp auto motive grease.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
November 23, 2014 06:20PM
I use a short burst of silicone spray on my nylon bushes every 3-6 months - that's all they need.

Click here to login