Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Belt Drive Extruder 00str00der dead?

Posted by jaguarking11 
Belt Drive Extruder 00str00der dead?
December 16, 2014 03:44PM
I was looking at the terrawat industries 00str00der a while back and decided to build something in the same nature. However upon searching for it I see their web page is down and seemingly out.

Anyone have experince with the 00str00der and their thoughts on the subject?

Personally I have been working on designing my own type of extruder. Anyone have experience with the 00str00der and what are their thoughts on the subject?

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
Re: Belt Drive Extruder 00str00der dead?
December 16, 2014 04:03PM
I've always wanted to get myself one, however, was never able to source the correct type of closed-loop belts for the project. I think it's a shame as the design is beautiful and allows for great versatility and lower friction in the transmission of energy. With longer belts, the extruder motor and the filament can be further apart from each other for example, instead of being limited by the gear size. Printed gears in PLA work better anyway than in ABS, and even better herringbone gears in aluminium. I have observed the extruder at a friends place and it worked wonders.

RobotDIGG has some closed-loop belts, but they didn't have the type I was looking for sadly. Maybe I should alter my design instead letting my project fail on not being able to get the correct belts haha winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2014 04:04PM by Ohmarinus.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
December 16, 2014 04:20PM
I am in the process of building a belt driven extruder, but I am doing away with the hobbled bolt. The machining on those bolts seems to be craptastic. I am also doing away with any sort of springs for the idler. They are not necessary if the drive mechanism runs true, and the pressure and give from the actual solid mount should be enough. I have been lucky enough to find a proper belt for my design, I could not find the proper one for 00str00der nor could I find the proper pulley for it.

I do not much like the herringbone gears due to lash as well as noise, the only extruder I like right now in production is one with a planetary gearbox in it like bulldog etc etc, however the ratios are crazy on allot of those and have no wish to spend the cash on a gearbox nema17 when 2:1 or 2.5:1 ratio seems ideal to me.

My 1'st iteration used precission gears and it works but the actual power is not very good 1.75:1. This will be a second version with much more power and 1/2 the size. I will start a thread when I start testing it. I was just curious of the other belt type extruders and what other thought of them.

[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

December 16, 2014 06:07PM
in reality you will need spring tension as filament shape may stress to a different shape such as oval, and it can happen even during load and retraction. you may be better off with a knurled tool end, but I'm not sure entirely on how you would be applying pressure to it. the belt extruder idea. what benefits does it have with it other that less backlash?
December 16, 2014 06:26PM
jamesdanielv
in reality you will need spring tension as filament shape may stress to a different shape such as oval, and it can happen even during load and retraction. you may be better off with a knurled tool end, but I'm not sure entirely on how you would be applying pressure to it. the belt extruder idea. what benefits does it have with it other that less backlash?

Spring tension I find is not required. The reason is simple, the tolerances of filament even cheap stuff is within spec, it wont oval the filament unless its either severely over spec or the idler bearing is over-tightened.

Belt drive has the advantage of using proper off the shelf machined parts if you can get them and you design around the parts strength. You can have a more precise extruder that way. Belts are also very quiet in operation as well as long lived. Servicing should be simple if designed correctly.

[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

December 16, 2014 06:53PM
I agree with Daniel, I've seen what can happen to the filament. And imagine printing flexible filament, how would you do that without a tensioner?

Hobbed bolts are indeed not super, I am using an MK8 which in fact is the best I have ever seen/used.
Herringbone gears are supposed to have less lash than ordinary gears, and again from my experience the lash is actually very low.

Still like the idea more of using a belt driven extruder, but keep in mind the advice you get smiling smiley

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
December 16, 2014 07:01PM
jaguarking11
jamesdanielv

Spring tension I find is not required. The reason is simple, the tolerances of filament even cheap stuff is within spec, it wont oval the filament unless its either severely over spec or the idler bearing is over-tightened.

Belt drive has the advantage of using proper off the shelf machined parts if you can get them and you design around the parts strength. You can have a more precise extruder that way. Belts are also very quiet in operation as well as long lived. Servicing should be simple if designed correctly.

i would tend to agree springs aren't really required, however i'd argue it's highly dependent on the hobb you are using, some of those knurled Hobbs like the mk7/mk8 hobbs will give you trouble, personally i exclusively the reprapdiscount ones as they are cut very well and "self clean"

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

December 17, 2014 12:59AM
Hi, have a look on www.bondtech.se.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login