Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Total support on 12v? but D1 in or out?

Posted by Student95 
Total support on 12v? but D1 in or out?
January 20, 2015 04:00AM
Hallo,

I'm new in the 3D printing world.. and I've got some questions..

For my 3D printer im going to use a RAMPS 1.4 (http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4) with four A4988 stepper drivers, an Arduino MEGA 2560 R3 and a RepRapDiscount Full graphic smart controller.

I found out that my fan and my J head e3d operate at 12V, also do my NEMA 17 stepper motors run on 12v and my a4988 drivers run on 12v, so i was wondering if i could run my hole system on 12V?

Because first i made up a scheme with a 24v supply and a 12v supply but now im wondering (watch attachment), could I leave out the 24V supply and just power everything on 12v?

I looked up at the RepRapWiki but I couldn't make it clear for myself because there are some things they say about D1 which I don't really understand, like: "D1 should only be installed if the 5A rail is powered by 12V. It can be omitted and the Arduino will be powered from USB. You will want D1 installed if you add components to print without a PC. To reiterate, D1 MUST be omitted if you are powering the 5A rail by more than 12V, or the power is not absolutely clean, otherwise you may damage your ramps."

and later on the page there is been said: "Without D1 installed, or when the 12VIN is not connected, the Arduino gets its power from USB. If you want your kit powered without USB connected you need to solder in D1 OR connect VCC to your PSU.

The VCC pin can be connected to your ATX's 5Vsb to continuously power the Arduino from your ATX power supply. You will want to make sure that D1 is not installed or cut out. The Arduino is not designed to be powered directly on the VCC rail and the VIN pin at the same time.

If you want to use PS_ON to turn on your power supply then don't use diode D1, you need your Arduino to be powered from 5Vsb otherwise when no USB is connected the PS_ON pin floats (and your power supply pulses on and off).
"

And than the main question, can I run my hole system on 12v, and can i than just solder D1 in on my RAMPS 1.4 which will feed my MEGA 2560? or do i need to supply my MEGA 2560 separately? (I print from an SD card pluged in to the full graphic smart controller).

thanks in advance smiling smiley
Attachments:
open | download - elektrisch schema 12v en 24v.png (43.9 KB)
Re: Total support on 12v? but D1 in or out?
January 20, 2015 09:22AM
Yes. You can run the entire setup on 12 volts, but you will need to connect the heated in the 12 volt configuration printed on the bed. The diode needs to be installed in the RAMPS board, and the Arduino can be powered by 12 volts connected to the power jack beside the USB jack.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2015 09:23AM by MindRealm.

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

Check out my FolgerTech Prusa i3 (plexi) at MindRealm.net
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login