Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Modicum Extruder - New belt drive extruder design.

Posted by jaguarking11 
Modicum Extruder - New belt drive extruder design.
December 19, 2014 03:24PM
I designed my first geared extruder with premade fine gears. It gave me basicaly no lash, however the slanted gears are really beating up the bearings. The design also had some precision problems. I am still using this extruder at this point but hope to replace it with my new design once I get it right.

I wanted a belt drive extruder that would be small and have easily attainable parts. The next mission is that the extruder body should be easy to print (I failed at this part)

Here is the preliminary design. If it gathers interest I may do a run of these small extruders at some point once I get the bugs worked out. For now I am going back to the drawing board.

Here is a video of the extruder being built. Built

Here are some images of it as well.

I have not received the proper sized shaft yet. Thats why it is too small.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2014 03:25PM by jaguarking11.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
Re: Modicum Extruder - New belt drive extruder design.
January 28, 2015 12:21AM
I like it! How does the backlash compare to geared extruders? How about direct drive? How expensive is it?

I've been running an Airtripper direct with a Mk8 gear for a while now, and my motor's always been strong enough. Have you run into issues?
January 28, 2015 09:56AM
The backlash is virtualy nill. Unless the belt stretches. The direct drive and geared extruder I ran previously had their own issues. The geared one had slanted gears, which provide very little lash but beat up the bearings. The direct drive I was using before was flimsy.

As for price. 60USD shipped in the US is what I am asking for a fully assembled and tested unit. I will have my firt batch (10) ready by the end of Feb. If your interested drop me a private message or e-mail me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 10:02AM by jaguarking11.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
January 29, 2015 03:18PM
Belts are way better than geared imo.
I make gregs type extruders using laminated pressboard and belts to make things slop free and heat warp resistant.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login