Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sourcing Usable Vitamins topic

Posted by Ohmarinus 
Sourcing Usable Vitamins topic
May 18, 2013 11:43AM
Hey guys, I want to start a central topic in where we can place suggestions where to find certain vitamins for our reprap machines.

I have started asking people around me if they have old printers/scanners/computers that are keps in their basement because they don't take time to throw it away.

For now I have found in different machines:

Scanners:
- Chromed smooth rods 1x or 2x, with varying thicknesses, haven't found 8mm yet
- Stepper motors, sometimes with very vague product information, afraid of using
- Nice glass plates, you can ask a glass company to cut it for you into shape, some of these glass plates make beautiful printing surfaces
- Screws and other small things
- Belt pulleys from the stepper motors
- Belts with varying teeth sizes
- Random electronics
- Anything else to look for?

Printers:
- Chromed smooth rods, usually a few different widths in just one machine
- Stepper motor, 1 or 2 again
- Some electronics that can be recycles
- Belts and pulleys

Old computers:
- ATX power supplies, most of them are < 300 Watts, but I have found one nice one of 350 Watts and I am going to convert it so I can use it to power my Sanguino
- Cooling elements (heatsinks)
- Fans

These are the more common items I've found around me, maybe some other products can be things like plotters (nice chromed rods, usually pretty long ones), old laptops (cooling fans and heatsinks), old engine parts (when you have an old cylinder block, you can cut out parts to make the aluminum heater for hotends).

So far my ideas of recycling what we might throw away. I hope this topic grows and we can eventually make some kind of wiki page with tips, photo's, howto's etc.

Oh, and is there an IRC channel for Reprap?
- Marinus
Re: Sourcing Usable Vitamins topic
May 18, 2013 12:08PM
Old Joysticks: swishes
old moues: optical end stops
Re: Sourcing Usable Vitamins topic
January 30, 2015 08:24AM
Yes I too am in search of these engines. I've begun tearing apart old printers hard drives CD players in search of these stepper motors. Here I have started a list of the engines I find of each printer or by model and other such devices. [diysourcing.com] I have just begun will be adding more if anyone would like to help think the comment on the page is working. leave me a message. or leave the info from a device you've taken apart and I'll add it to the list. I'm also new to web design so it will take a minute for me to get it shiny.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 08:26AM by voc007.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login