Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which Electronics to purchase

Posted by HereIgoAgain 
Which Electronics to purchase
April 22, 2015 07:19PM
Hi,
I'm finally finishing up a Mendel Prusa now (Ver 2) that I started some time back. Which electronics do folks recommend these days? My older mendel has ramps 1.4 with mega 1280 and runs like a sewing machine. I know the new chip is Mega2560 but I also see a sainsmart ramps V2. Any suggestions and recommendations ?

Thanks in advance
Re: Which Electronics to purchase
April 22, 2015 07:31PM
Look at smoothieboard!
April 23, 2015 03:11AM
Unless you want to do dual extrusion right away, I recommend Duet electronics. Like Smoothieboard it is 32-bit with software-controlled motor current, SD card socket and Ethernet; but it costs less (GBP65 + tax from Think3DPrint3D, or $80 from Replikeo) and the firmware supports a much better web interface. For dual extrusion, the Smoothieboard 5XC has the advantage of being able to drive both extruders from the main board - with the Duet you add a daughter board for dual/triple extrusion.

If you are on a tight budget, it's hard to beat Arduino/RAMPS + driver modules + LCD panel (you need the LCD panel to get the SD card socket, which is more or less essential with Arduino Mega due to its slow serial-over-USB connection). Or you could try the AZSMZ Mini + drivers - it's 32-bit but lacks the Ethernet port and software control of motor current provided by Duet and Smoothieboard..

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 23, 2015 09:25AM
As interesting as I find working and building Repraps, the comments and people I meet on this forum continually amaze, inspire, and cause me to think a bit farther out of the box. Thanks for your comments. I see I have a bit more reading and ideas to consider.
April 23, 2015 10:00AM
you cant go wrong with Arduino/RAMPS + driver modules + LCD panel and a copy of the free marlin firmware, takes a while to figure out the settings but you can proudly say you made everything for it and for 50 bucks your done except for cabling and stepper motors.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login