Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Horizontal gaps when slicing thin surfaces

Posted by cristian 
Horizontal gaps when slicing thin surfaces
May 27, 2015 04:46PM
I often print small objects with thin surfaces (for example 1 or 2 mm) and I noticed that in the places where the surface thickness is not a multiple of the layer width there are gaps between lines in the horizontal plane, in particular where there is no room for infill. This is of course normal when the slicer considers a fixed layer width.

Sometimes I overcome the problem with a smaller nozzle diameter (and consequently smaller layer width), but when this is not possible I usually compensate with slight overextrusion. However there are drawbacks including the fact that the external surface of the object becomes less regular.

So the question is: supposing that you cannot just reduce your nozzle diameter, how do you deal with this problem in terms of slicing software or parameters?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2015 04:47PM by cristian.
Re: Horizontal gaps when slicing thin surfaces
May 27, 2015 10:23PM
Play with outer perimeters 2 instead of 3 or change the infill angles if your slicer allows you to.

Simplify3d slicer have a function that fill those gaps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2015 10:26PM by ggherbaz.
May 28, 2015 07:08AM
ggherbaz
Play with outer perimeters 2 instead of 3 or change the infill angles if your slicer allows you to.

With 0.5mm layer width, any wall thinner than 2mm will have not more than 3 lines in it, so one should use just 1 perimeter but this may be not optimal for the rest of the object. Changing infill angles will work only in particular cases.

ggherbaz
Simplify3d slicer have a function that fill those gaps.

In fact I wonder why slic3r does not...
May 28, 2015 08:58AM
The other less desired option is to change the piece angle to built plate, 10 to 15% angle may change the way the slicing without affecting too much the structural strength.
May 28, 2015 10:18AM
If one can turn the object, that is also a good solution, yes.

However I think in general this is a sort of missing feature in slic3r, it would be nice to have some sort of smart automatic gap fill.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login