Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trouble printing EZstruder, missing something?

Posted by PrintThings 
Trouble printing EZstruder, missing something?
June 30, 2015 06:05AM
I'm trying to print another EZstruder for my second hot end from here:

[www.thingiverse.com]

Everything works well except for the EZStruder_-_70784_HEMA-1.STL file. This .STL is actually two pieces. The object is not manifold. I figrured this was on purpose and after printing I could separate the two. The slicing preview didn't look like that would work but I gave it a try. No go unfortunately. Am I missing something here as to how this is supposed to be printed?

I tried importing the .STL into sketchup to separate the two halves and print them on their own. Unfortunately the walls of the two pieces are completely intermingled and would be a nightmare to try and separate from one another for someone with my limited 3D skills in sketchup.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2015 06:07AM by PrintThings.
Re: Trouble printing EZstruder, missing something?
June 30, 2015 07:52AM
I think its meant to be one object and the object not being manifold is a mistake. Both Cura and Slic3r slice it ok despite the error.
June 30, 2015 02:22PM
It's definitely meant to be in two pieces. I have an original EZstruder I'm using right now. The halves need to separate so you can clamp the hotend between them. If you import the .stl file into some CAD software you can see where the model should be split. All of the internal geometry is there. The walls are on slightly different angles though, and touching each other almost coplaner but not quite. This makes trying to serparate the two halves in CAD software next to impossible for me with sketchup.
June 30, 2015 09:14PM
I spent quite a while deleting and rebuilding until I got both halves separate in sketchup. I printed out each separately and it works.

Then I looked to see if I could find the same spring the EZstruder uses and stumbled across the github for it:

[github.com]

It has the original .stl file from SeeMeCNC with the two halves together with the weird split in the middle that someone must have just uploaded to thingiverse. It also has the two halves already split. Wish I didn't waste my time doing that, but oh well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2015 09:14PM by PrintThings.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login