Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Speedup Skeinforge

Posted by epareja 
Speedup Skeinforge
July 20, 2012 01:49PM
Hello again all,

I've trying to understand how to run Skeinforge with PyPy or Psyco but I really gave up.

I downloaded PyPy and it doesn't have any install file so I supposed I had to redirect to open the skeinforge.py file with PyPy.exe but I get an error that I don't have installed TKInter. I downloaded the windows install from http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/ but it didn't worked either.

It's very frustrating to get this to work.

I have a Windows 7 32 bits system and I want to run a faster skeinforge.

Thank you

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
Re: Speedup Skeinforge
July 20, 2012 02:40PM
Have you looked at Cura? It started life as skeinforge-pypy.

David
July 21, 2012 12:35AM
I downloaded Cura but I need many of the Skeinforge profile values I have.

I wonder if someone here has installed Pysco or PyPy to replace python compiler?

I haven't found anything usefull on the blogs or web. Am I missing something here?

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
July 21, 2012 04:26PM
Yesterday was frustrating trying to find a solution to run PyPy as a python interpreter for Skeinforge.

I designed a small application for windows 7 (should work on others but I haven't tested yet) to run Skeinforge with PyPy interpreter without messing with console command line.

This program receives the PyPy.exe file location and Skeinforge.py location and stores the last 10 files sliced.

It also catchs the command line output of skeinforge to present it in the program.

Le me know if this helped to someone else. At least it worked for me smiling smiley
Attachments:
open | download - SkeinforgePyPyAccelerator.zip (356.5 KB)
August 04, 2012 04:09PM
epareja Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yesterday was frustrating trying to find a
> solution to run PyPy as a python interpreter for
> Skeinforge.
>
> I designed a small application for windows 7
> (should work on others but I haven't tested yet)
> to run Skeinforge with PyPy interpreter without
> messing with console command line.
>
> This program receives the PyPy.exe file location
> and Skeinforge.py location and stores the last 10
> files sliced.
>
> It also catchs the command line output of
> skeinforge to present it in the program.
>
> Le me know if this helped to someone else. At
> least it worked for me smiling smiley

Brilliant little program, works like a dream! Is there any possibility of adding a way to edit the output file name?
August 04, 2012 06:19PM
Hello Yellow_fish

Thank you for your comments.

the output filename is assigned in skeinforge itself so I don't know how to change it. I thought about it too smiling smiley.

I made a version 0.2 that included calling skeinforge ide for configuration of parameters and saving the output result into a TXT filename.

I'm attaching it here.

If someone knows how to tell Skeinforge to use a specific profile I would like to add that feature to SkeinforgeAccelerator.

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
Attachments:
open | download - SkeinforgePyPyAccelerator.zip (518.9 KB)
August 07, 2012 06:35AM
epareja Wrote:
> the output filename is assigned in skeinforge
> itself so I don't know how to change it. I thought
> about it too smiling smiley.

It's a shame that skeinforge doesn't have an easy way to rename the output file really. Hopefully someone else will notice this thread and give a suggestion!

> I made a version 0.2 that included calling
> skeinforge ide for configuration of parameters and
> saving the output result into a TXT filename.

I like the new version! Much more ergonomic. I know this might also be inaccessible but is there any way to change the output directory?

Just a thought, but could you create the file in a scratch directory, rename it and then move it to the final location? So add (maybe in an advance config tab??) the location of the temporary directory, and then an additional box to add a new name?

> If someone knows how to tell Skeinforge to use a
> specific profile I would like to add that feature
> to SkeinforgeAccelerator.

Second that, that would also be a great feature.

Thanks for the hard work so far!
August 07, 2012 10:29PM
Sorry to be Über Partial...
But ditch skeinforge and get onboard the Slic3r bandwagon.

Once again not an impartial observation...

But Slic3r is better, faster, stronger. It has precompiled versions, slices models in seconds, new releases monthly, an easy to use GUI... The list goes on.

Skeinforge is better at making support structure. PERIOD.

In my humble, fallible and very human opinion (please feel free to have your own) Slic3r wins one to nothin winking smiley

The simple fact that you can't get past trying to run skeinforge should be a signal to you smiling smiley
August 07, 2012 10:29PM
Cura is cool.

Check out KISSLICER too
August 08, 2012 05:15AM
I too use Slic3r but I understand why many people are not willing to give up skeinforge. For one, I think it is more dimensionally accurate. As you say the support is much better and the maths Slic3r uses is still not correct (according to Sound).
Although having hundreds of options is not very user friendly, having those options is a good thing, the way they are linked and explained is however incredibly poor.

Skeinforge still has it's place in the community, for now atleast. It is painfully slow though...
Epareja, by how much does pypy increase the speed of slicing?
August 08, 2012 06:38AM
I used slic3r and didnt liek the fact that no matter how much I tweaked my calibration I could not get accurate holes. So after all that faff I started learning skeinforge. I'm pretty new to printing but one of my key aims for my printer is to accuratly reproduce the CAD model. That means I want dimensional accuracy, hence skeinforge.

As soon as slic3r implements a stretch function I'm switching back! I've spent a fair while using the 0.8.5 dev one and it produced very nice prints, and is faster, but the holes are the wrong size.....

Cura is OK but I found the lack of variables a bit limiting. After all the majority of skeinforge plugins have be implemented for a reason and can help with the quality of the prints.

I've found around a 4x speed increase in using pypy over python.
August 08, 2012 03:13PM
yellow_fish Wrote:
> no matter how much I tweaked my calibration I could
> not get accurate holes.

That's what she said winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2012 03:13PM by Idolcrasher.
August 08, 2012 03:19PM
You Gents are right for sure,

There are reasons that some folks will pick skeinforge and other slicing programs as their favorite.

It is great in fact that there are multiple efforts out there right now.

My first successful prints came from skeinforge too.

I think I have Olympic fever and like to see a winner crowned winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login