Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3d-scanner cabin in the mall soon?

Posted by o_lampe 
3d-scanner cabin in the mall soon?
July 22, 2015 12:47PM
Hi folks,
just want to spread one of my wild visions here:

We all know the classic photo cabins on train stations, malls, etc.

Do you think, there will be 3D-scanner cabins soon, that will let you make a full body scan of yourself, select the best of 5 shots, and get a full color 3d print of it?
The print will take a while, maybe it is better to send the scanned data to a print-shop, where you can pick it up later or got it sent home.
-Olaf
Anyone willing to start a kickstarter campaign? Go ahead, my ideas are for free winking smiley
Re: 3d-scanner cabin in the mall soon?
July 22, 2015 02:27PM
No, but Print&Scan shops would be wonderfull
July 22, 2015 06:33PM
A local Salt Lake 3d store has a full body scanner. They have a big chessboard setup with family members as pieces. Pretty cool. They charge $20.00 for a scan. Zeni Kinetic on State St.
July 22, 2015 07:47PM
I don't think so. Typically you take a photograph to remember something/someone.

I can see statues replacing photographs as a way to remember something really significant, so you might want a statue of (say) your wedding on your mantlepiece. But you're not going to keep statues of insignificant things; they're just too bulky to store many of them conveniently.

Secondly, the results of the 3D scan would be digital... you would send that home to be printed, rather than printing it on-site and sending the statue home.

I guess that by now most of the photo cabins are gone? Replaced by people having phones & selfie-sticks & social media.

I imagine that a 3D photograph of a scene, plus a projector to project the image onto the walls and ceiling of your room would be a winner. Or perhaps 3D goggles to view.
July 23, 2015 12:50AM
It´s the selfie-mania I´m counting on...smiling bouncing smiley
Maybe selling only a digital 3D model would be another option, no statue required.
The cabin should be big enough for more people then every copy would pay off.
-Olaf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login